“Not great”

Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Delivery
Neighborhood: University City
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is located in 40th street. Like any other Indian buffet hotel, this hotel also has all the varieties. But it lacks taste in all the items. None of the items are tasty except the samosa. Tandoori chicken pieces were raw. chicken biriyani was prepared with skinned chicken meat. Do not even dare to taste the fruit salad. Desert is also not up to the mark.

Whoever is planning to visit New Delhi, I would recommend Sitar hotel which is two streets away.

There are newer reviews for New Delhi

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Look. Great price, amazing food. All you need to know. I'm glad I don't live in Philly, or I'd get fat from going to this place.

Seriously. My mind is blown. The food is so awesome, and so reasonably priced. I would expect to pay $18 a meal for stuff this good!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've been to New Delhi twice in the last 2 months and have gotten the buffet both times. In the past, the only Indian food I ate was homemade so I didn't quite know what to expect - I was very pleasantly surprised! My fiance tried some type of chicken wing & said it was dry but EVERYTHING else was really good. Chicken tandoori and naan were so good!

Also, their beer selection was great! The most domestic beer they had was Yuengling but also offered a few Indian beers (Taj Mahal was really good), a Belgian (Ommegang Abbey Ale), Monk's Sour Ale, etc.

We went on a rainly/cold Tuesday night and there was a decent dinner crowd. Also, our service was very good. Our waiter was very nice and a few other guys came by to clear our empty plates. I had no problem at all - I'll definitely go back...soon!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I cannot believe that there are only 16 reviews of this restaurant on Tripadvisor. New Delhi is actually the oldest Indian restaurant in the city, according to their website. It is my favorite Indian restaurant anywhere. The University city area has a few Indian restaurants that gear toward the college crowd. This one is the best. It is always full of young people.
I have been going here for a very long time and they actually renovated several years ago. Previously, the place was dark and the walls were a sparkly baby pink. It was hideous, but the food was worth the eye sore. Now the restaurant is updated and modern. The ceiling has been raised into a really cool zig-zag shape that lets light in from the wall made of windows on the street. The tinted mirrors and silver bar/takeout/kitchen area add to the modern feel.
New Delhi has a lunch buffet, dinner buffet and a la carte options. The lunch buffet is a delicious, cheap ($8.95) and comes with homemade dessert! The hot food bar features a rotating variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes that are replenished frequently, Chicken Tikka Masala, Mutter Paneer, Navratan Korma, Bhindi Masala and Chicken Wing Pakora to name a few. The buffet also features the three staples of any Indian meal, basmati rice, samosas and naan bread. The rice is delicious enough to be eaten alone, the samosas are the perfect mix of a crunchy shell and soft potato filling and the naan is always fresh, chewy and irresistible.
The buffet also features a salad bar with a good selection of fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, onions, salad dressings. There are also rice pudding, fruit salad and chocolate pudding included.
A highlight of the buffet is the free dessert. Options include ice cream, Kheer (Indian rice pudding), Gulab Jamun (honey milk balls) and Kulfi (Indian ice cream with nuts and rose water). The mango ice cream is my favorite. It is homemade and delicious, with a great sticky texture and the flavor isn’t overwhelmingly sweet.
If you sign up for their e-mail/Facebook you will occasionally get 15% off coupons. Also, if you are a student you will get the same discount. No wonder so many students choose to come to New Delhi.

1  Thank star555girl
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I found this restaurant when I lived in Philadelphia 20 years ago, and I've been returning ever since.

The buffet is very reasonably priced and has a top notch assortment, including fresh baked naan, basmati rice, lamb saag, chicken tikka masala and samosas. The cold buffet has salad ingredients plus a nice selection of relishes and sauces.

Dessert is included in the price of the buffet, and their gulab jamun is first rate.

It's been fixed up over the years. If you haven't visited in a while, you no longer have to go down to the basement to visit the rest rooms--there are nice clean bathrooms in the hallway behind the bar.

1  Thank ARWhite