“Authentic Philly cheese steak, awesome service!”

Jim's Steaks South St.
Ranked #33 of 4,428 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Neighborhood: City Center East
Description: THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE! In the summer of 1976, my father and a business partner opened Jim's Steaks South St., Bringing a unique art-deco storefront and an even more distinctive cheesesteak to a neighborhood in the midst of a renaissance. Few would have predicted that over the course of nearly four decades the shop would become one of the most celebrated restaurants in Philadelphia. You'll find us on what's known as the "Hippest Street in Town," serving up the finest cheesesteaks and hoagies from the heart of the city that made them famous. Five-time winner of Philadelphia Magazine's "Best of Philly" award and Zagat rated, Jim's is your 'must-have' cheesesteak when only the BEST will do. With well over 200 years of cheesesteak-making knowhow, our staff will make you glad you stopped in each and every time you visit. Whether you're a Philly native or a conventioneer, touring the city's incredible history and museums or just passing through, you'll know you're getting the real Philly cheesesteak experience when you walk through our door. Ask anyone who has tasted our sandwiches! We can't wait to show you how it's done. Our best, Ken Silver Second Generation Proprietor Jim's Steaks South St.
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I was able to try my first Philly cheese steak at Jim's and it was great. The price was a bit high and the sandwich could have been a bit bigger but it was fresh, delicious and the the service was fast and friendly! Would definitely return next time I'm in Philly.

There are newer reviews for Jim's Steaks South St.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We visited Philly today, and we HAD to get an authentic cheesesteak. To be honest, we have not tried Geno's or Pat's, but quite frankly, did not want to be stressed out when ordering a sandwich anyway! A guide at the Independence Visitor Center guided us to Jim's when we asked to go to something w/in walking distance. After visiting Independence Hall & the Liberty Bell, we walked the 6 blocks over to Jim's. We got there around 5:30pm, and there were only 5 or 6 people in front of us. Service was fast, and we got our sandwiches and headed to the upstairs seating. (Note: CASH ONLY.) If we had the time, we would totally head back tomorrow! And the Cheese Whiz....oh man. Always get it w/ the Whiz!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I visited Philadelphia for the first time in May 2013 and had to have an authentic cheesesteak. The cheesesteak I had at Jim's was so good, I returned the next day for another! This was the only cheesesteak restaurant I visited in Philadelphia, so I don't have anything to compare it to, although I'm told it's better than both Geno's and Pat's (other high-rated cheesesteak restaurants). I would definitely recommend anyone that happens to be on South Street to give Jim's a try!

Other tips: Cash only (ATM on site), know what you want before it's your turn to order, be prepared for a line (may or may not move fast), open late night.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is the first place I ever got a Philly cheesesteak when we moved to the area a year and a half ago. The bell boy at our hotel suggested it. I've since visited Pat's and the one across the street from it and let me tell you Jim's is the best, no doubt! Get it with whiz! The line was super long when we went yesterday. Curled around the corner and down the side of the restaurant but the wait is def worth it. The guys that work behind the counter are always having a good time and cracking jokes. The cheesesteak is flavorful, cheesy, messy, and just plain the best. Don't waste your time going to other places. Love Jim's!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

GREAT cheasesteak hoagie!!!! We discovered Jim's 30 years ago, and though we no longer live in Phili, we use it as THE benchmark for a terrific cheesesteak hoagie. Everytime we travel through the area (not often enough) we make a stop at Jim's. Expect a line and wait of at least 10 minutes to order, but once you order your steak hoagie appears in minutes. CASH only, no credit cards. Lots of seating upstairs. Not fine dining, just GREAT cheese steak hoagi! Its' worth the drive!!!