“Must do while in Philly”

Jim's Steaks South St.
Ranked #34 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: City Center East
Description: THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE! In the summer of 1976, my father and a business partner opened Jim's Steaks South St., Bringing a unique art-deco storefront and an even more distinctive cheesesteak to a neighborhood in the midst of a renaissance. Few would have predicted that over the course of nearly four decades the shop would become one of the most celebrated restaurants in Philadelphia. You'll find us on what's known as the "Hippest Street in Town," serving up the finest cheesesteaks and hoagies from the heart of the city that made them famous. Five-time winner of Philadelphia Magazine's "Best of Philly" award and Zagat rated, Jim's is your 'must-have' cheesesteak when only the BEST will do. With well over 200 years of cheesesteak-making knowhow, our staff will make you glad you stopped in each and every time you visit. Whether you're a Philly native or a conventioneer, touring the city's incredible history and museums or just passing through, you'll know you're getting the real Philly cheesesteak experience when you walk through our door. Ask anyone who has tasted our sandwiches! We can't wait to show you how it's done. Our best, Ken Silver Second Generation Proprietor Jim's Steaks South St.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Philly cheesesteaks = Jim's. That's all there is to it. Stand in line, watch the efficiency of the cooks, it's worth the wait.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

On a recent trip to Philadelphia, we wanted to have a "real" Philly cheesesteak, having never had one before. After reading a bunch of online reviews and more importantly talking with several lifelong Philly residents who were cheesesteak fans, we settled on Jim's (the locals told us that was far and away the best place)-- and we were not disappointed. We went just before Noon on a weekday and had no wait. With all of the choices available, I was confused and asked the very nice lady behind the counter what to order for my first Philly 'steak-- she told me 'wiz and onions-- turned out to be excellent advice. The meat was excellent quality and freshly cooked to my order-- it was flavorful and to my surprise, not all greasy-- how do they do that? I had my doubts about Cheese Whiz on a steak sub, but it was perfect-- gave it just the right tanginess and the onions were a good add as well. The roll was really fresh. Good selection of beer and soft drinks to go along with the food. All outstanding ingredients well prepared resulted in a very memorable sandwich-- can't wait to go back to Philly and have another!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was my first trip to Philly and I was told to check this place out. I did a search on my GPS when leaving the airport and this place was on the top of the list. It was interesting that you can watch the cooking from the street. I entered the facility and it didn't appear very clean, but they were pushing alot of folks through the lline quickly. I ordered a cheesesteak with provolone cheese, onions and peppers. The cheese is laid inside the bun, then the steak is placed on top followed by the oinions and peppers. Each of the ingrediants are cooked seperately so none of the flavors really meld together. The staff wasn't really friendly, they were concentrating on getting the order out or taking orders over the phone. You are treated like a number on an assembly line. I chose to eat upstairs in the small dinning room. It was ok nothing special. To me the meat was kinda dry and the cheese did not melt. The bun was really good and fresh though.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I LOVE this place. By far the best cheesesteaks in Philly. I've been to the better known ones and hated them. Go to Jim's. don't ask. Just go.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Of the famous Cheese Steak Places in Philly... this is a place to visit but I've had better.... maybe it's the South Street demise thats done it!