“It was good, but I wouldn't go out of my way”

Jim's Steaks South St.
Ranked #84 of 4,629 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: City Center East
Description: THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE! In the summer of 1976, my father and a business partner opened Jim's Steaks South St., Bringing a unique art-deco storefront and an even more distinctive cheesesteak to a neighborhood in the midst of a renaissance. Few would have predicted that over the course of nearly four decades the shop would become one of the most celebrated restaurants in Philadelphia. You'll find us on what's known as the "Hippest Street in Town," serving up the finest cheesesteaks and hoagies from the heart of the city that made them famous. Five-time winner of Philadelphia Magazine's "Best of Philly" award and Zagat rated, Jim's is your 'must-have' cheesesteak when only the BEST will do. With well over 200 years of cheesesteak-making knowhow, our staff will make you glad you stopped in each and every time you visit. Whether you're a Philly native or a conventioneer, touring the city's incredible history and museums or just passing through, you'll know you're getting the real Philly cheesesteak experience when you walk through our door. Ask anyone who has tasted our sandwiches! We can't wait to show you how it's done. Our best, Ken Silver Second Generation Proprietor Jim's Steaks South St.
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was my first trip to Philly and I was told to check this place out. I did a search on my GPS when leaving the airport and this place was on the top of the list. It was interesting that you can watch the cooking from the street. I entered the facility and it didn't appear very clean, but they were pushing alot of folks through the lline quickly. I ordered a cheesesteak with provolone cheese, onions and peppers. The cheese is laid inside the bun, then the steak is placed on top followed by the oinions and peppers. Each of the ingrediants are cooked seperately so none of the flavors really meld together. The staff wasn't really friendly, they were concentrating on getting the order out or taking orders over the phone. You are treated like a number on an assembly line. I chose to eat upstairs in the small dinning room. It was ok nothing special. To me the meat was kinda dry and the cheese did not melt. The bun was really good and fresh though.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,798)

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I LOVE this place. By far the best cheesesteaks in Philly. I've been to the better known ones and hated them. Go to Jim's. don't ask. Just go.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Of the famous Cheese Steak Places in Philly... this is a place to visit but I've had better.... maybe it's the South Street demise thats done it!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

First visit to Philadelphia. Got to have a Cheese Steak. Had done some reading before hand. The famous battling "original" Gene's and Pat's -- but the locals apparently prefer Jim's. coming in for a landing I ask a local Philadelphian where to find the best Cheese steak and several pipe up "Jim's". Sherman set the GPS for Jim's on South street. South Street very cool area although parking I a lot cost me $10. I didn't care when was I next going to have a Cheese Steak in Philadelphia. As part of the reading I was somewhat prepared to order but I lined up at the wrong end. Slices of beef and stacks of onions on the grill. Handled deftly with a spatula cooked and dropped into a fresh bun. I asked for wiz and hot peppers. We actually shared two between four of us one with just beef the other with mushrooms. It was juicy and gooey and tender and delicious, nothing like the facsimiles I had on the west coast and never really liked. We ate upstairs at some spartan tables with a view over South Street and pictures of some celebrities on the wall who had dined at Jim's. Definitely worth the trip. Not sure I will find one of similar ilk outside of Philly.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We enjoyed a cheesesteak with Provolone and onions with Cream soda. Quality steak and roll! We carried our food upstairs where it was quiet. The windows overlooked South St. We went early for lunch so it was not too busy.Definitely worth the walk from Independence Hall!