“Very good cheesesteaks!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Fast Food, Soups
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Jim's is one of the "authentic" cheesesteak places! In a cute little area of town, and we were told there is always a line, no matter what time of day you go. Be warned- they only take CASH. The cheesesteaks were very good. I would have said excellent, but some of the grease got my roll soggy and I hate that. Good value, though!

There are newer reviews for Jim's Steaks

Reviewed February 28, 2013

At the risk of starting a riot I asked a couple locals "where do you go for cheesesteaks?" and the answer was Jim's. They warned me about the neighbourhood...they were right.

They told me it would be a darn good cheesesteak...and they were right.

Nothing particularly fancy...not exactly five-star white glove service...but wow, what a delicious cheese steak.

You could eat fancier and get better service. But when you want something really good and probably unhealthy...go to Jim's. Know what you want (if you're not sure ask someone in line- the people behind you will thank you), have your money ready, and get ready to dig in.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Ya, it was a long wait (for us, about 25-30 min), it was very unhealthy, four of the five employees were about as grumpy as we encountered in Philly... but at the least it doesn't matter, and at best it MIGHT have even added to the experience.

I'll give you that the above sounds masochistic, but you haven't heard the whole story yet. By the time I got to the front of the line I was PRIMED. Ready for a world class cheesesteak. Expecting it, actually. If it had been lesser in any respect, I was ready to tear it apart. I'm from San Diego, and waiting outside for 15 minutes in 27 degree weather is generally NOT my idea of a great time...

We got to the cashier, who ended up being the only person working willing and able to say anything other than "NEXT". He was clever, very acidic tongue, but it was good natured. Finally, time to head upstairs for our reward.

Let me say first, I was hesitant to get a steak with whiz. If anyone... one single person... had suggested otherwise, I'd probably have opted for provolone. Fortunately for me, every single person had suggested whiz. I was not disappointed. My wife and I joked that "we will never diss cheese whiz again, it has a place in this world," but it's no joke... it was really great in the sandwich.

I'm no expert in cheesesteaks, but to the uninitiated this was a really great sandwich, and overall an experience I'd be eager to repeat.

ps. Whiz, with onions, mushrooms and peppers.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

.....so what if the original Jim's neighborhood is currently "economically challenged"? (better not to go at night) and so what if the store itself could have used a refab about 40 years ago?! And so what if the staff sometimes acts like they're doing you a big favor to even talk to you?!...Close your eyes and smell...it's the grill, dummies.... not the decor or the staff you are there for. That grill means flavor..great flavor. Delicious hoagies, too. mmm, mmm good...

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Long lines and rushed ordering are worth it for great Philly Cheesesteaks from Jim's Steaks. If you are in Philly, make sure to go here for your cheeseteak.