“Not worth the ride to get there”
Review of Jim's Steaks

Jim's Steaks
Ranked #382 of 4,446 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Fast Food, Soups
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I visited there this past week. Keep in mind folks it is down on 62nd. The liberty bell is at 6th. It's a RIDE to get there. It's not the same place as the video attached shows. It is in what appears to be a "not so nice part of town". However, it was daylight - we went in. The food was average at best. It was a typical cheesesteak. Nothing fancy about it. I felt completely at ease in the place - but if I were a tourist and trying to get back and forth - this is not where I would go. You can this same food at any cheesesteak place.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

While in Philly looking at schools for my daughter, we tried all the big cheesesteak places. This place was very nasty, place was filthy and the food was terrible. I guess that is why we were the only ones in this place on a Thursday evening. If you are looking for good cheesesteaks do not waste your time going here. Go to one of the others, me and my family’s preference is Tony Luke’s, but Pat’s and Geno’s are also good.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

In our quest for the infamous Philly Cheesesteak, many locals recommended Jim's as THE place to go. Avoid the tourist traps and go to Jim's, it's the best, they said. I have to say, not impressed by Jim's. The cheesesteak was dry and just unappealing. The line that wraps all the way around the corner of the building would indicate you're in for a treat, but not so much. I was still wanting that infamous Philly Cheesesteak when I left disappointed. Sorry, Jim's, I have to give you a fail.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I've lived out west for over 40 years but I grew up in West Philadelphia, regularly buying steak sandwiches or cheese steaks at places which aren't there anymore. Among them were Fat's, Foo Foo's, and others. Then, there is Jim's. The store at 62nd & Noble (between Girard Ave and Callohill st.) This store was frequented by my parents before I was born, and I'm a grandfather. The product is unfailing; whether you order a steak or hoagie. My wife requested a Ham & Turkey Hoagie which she says was absolutely delicious. I got my usual; steak sandwich with grilled onions with provolone cheese. (salt, pepper, mustard, and ketchup to make it right). After all these years, this place still puts out a great sandwich. I'm not sure what the complaints are about for the Springfield store. The Northeast store doesn't get the high marks either from some folks. I've never visited the South Philly store. Why should I try something different when I have something so good. I'm sticking with this place until the end. Remember that this is a cash only spot. If you're ordering a dozen sandwiches for family or co-workers, bring the cash money! My kids were all in town last year during the spring. They'd never been there. I took them one Saturday night so that they could experience standing in line, hearing others order ahead of them, and smelling the aroma of the grilled onions. I guess this place has been here for over 70 years. I figure it'll be here for another 70. The faces may change but the product never lets you down. They are on the web. If you need your Philly food fix when visiting, or even if you live here, it's worth the trip. You'll be back! Find a parking spot either on 62nd st or on Noble. No meters to feed!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

As a born and bred Philadelphian, Jim's has always been my GO TO spot when I am Jonesing for an authentic Philly cheesesteak. I moved away 18 years ago, but return home regularly. When I do, Jim's is a must! I love the bread. I love the steak. I love the wit (onions). I love the hots. I love the WIZ!!! I love the attitude. You better know what you want BEFORE it's your turn to order. Sit upstairs for a fun people watching (South Street is great for that) while you enjoy the best cheesesteak Philly has to offer.

Been to Jim's Steaks? Share your experiences!