“My Philly food fix”

Dining options: Late Night
Mint Hill, North Carolina
“My Philly food fix”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I've lived out west for over 40 years but I grew up in West Philadelphia, regularly buying steak sandwiches or cheese steaks at places which aren't there anymore. Among them were Fat's, Foo Foo's, and others. Then, there is Jim's. The store at 62nd & Noble (between Girard Ave and Callohill st.) This store was frequented by my parents before I was born, and I'm a grandfather. The product is unfailing; whether you order a steak or hoagie. My wife requested a Ham & Turkey Hoagie which she says was absolutely delicious. I got my usual; steak sandwich with grilled onions with provolone cheese. (salt, pepper, mustard, and ketchup to make it right). After all these years, this place still puts out a great sandwich. I'm not sure what the complaints are about for the Springfield store. The Northeast store doesn't get the high marks either from some folks. I've never visited the South Philly store. Why should I try something different when I have something so good. I'm sticking with this place until the end. Remember that this is a cash only spot. If you're ordering a dozen sandwiches for family or co-workers, bring the cash money! My kids were all in town last year during the spring. They'd never been there. I took them one Saturday night so that they could experience standing in line, hearing others order ahead of them, and smelling the aroma of the grilled onions. I guess this place has been here for over 70 years. I figure it'll be here for another 70. The faces may change but the product never lets you down. They are on the web. If you need your Philly food fix when visiting, or even if you live here, it's worth the trip. You'll be back! Find a parking spot either on 62nd st or on Noble. No meters to feed!

• Visited July 2012

Columbia, Maryland
“Best Cheesesteak in Philly”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

As a born and bred Philadelphian, Jim's has always been my GO TO spot when I am Jonesing for an authentic Philly cheesesteak. I moved away 18 years ago, but return home regularly. When I do, Jim's is a must! I love the bread. I love the steak. I love the wit (onions). I love the hots. I love the WIZ!!! I love the attitude. You better know what you want BEFORE it's your turn to order. Sit upstairs for a fun people watching (South Street is great for that) while you enjoy the best cheesesteak Philly has to offer.

Denver, Colorado
“Best Cheesesteak!”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband heard that he needed to have a cheesesteak here. The line was about 10 people deep, yet once we got inside, we were greeted with tons of smiles. As my husband talked to the person at the grill, my hubby explained that we were from out of town and this was his first Jim's cheesesteak. The guy at the grill simply chuckled and said, "Man.....you're gonna be pissed." My husband was perplexed and asked him why he felt he was going to get angry. He responded saying, "Because once you have had this - and realize you can't get this at home - you're gonna be pissed."

My husband repeats this about twice a month because....he is ticked he can't get this at home. He claims that this was his Best. Cheesesteak. Ever.

• Visited January 2012
Charles Town, West Virginia
“Looking for magnificence... found a fair cheesesteak”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

As a big fan of a good cheesesteak I was looking forward to Jim's. Since my friends from Philly raved about Jim's and they were recommended in the travel book I walked in the door with high expectations. Two cheesesteaks 'wit wiz' and two canned sodas came to $22... not bad for a tourist lunch in Philadelphia. The cook portioned out our sandwiches from a large pile of ribeye frying on the grill. As we walked past the counter we saw a beautifully lean piece of meat being sliced paper-thin. Expectations continued to rise. Unfortunately, these cheesesteaks did not meet the expectations. The roll was very good (crusty on the outside, soft inside) but the meat didn't have much flavor and was a bit on the dry side. My wife ordered mushrooms on hers that came out of a large can sitting on the grill but were cold. I suppose if I ordered this in a mall foodcourt I would have been happy with it, but at Jim's in Philly I was expecting something a little more tasty. Next time I'm in Philadelphia I'll continue my quest for the greatest cheesesteak somewhere else.

• Visited June 2012
“Sorry, I don't get it”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

When in Phily, I knew, other than seeing the Liberty Bell, I just had to get a cheesesteak. After all, it's named after the city so it must be great, right? Meh, not so much.
After asking around, I was instructed that Jim's was the place to go to, so that's where I headed. First thing they ask when you go in, do you want "wit whiz or witout". Whiz? How the heck was I to know they used cheese whiz? Seriously? They couldn't splurge for muenster?
The steak itself was pretty much tasteless. The sandwich was huge, but a tasteless sandwich with cheese whiz was certainly not what I had in mind.
Almost makes me afraid to go to Buffalo and order wings.

• Visited June 2011

Been to Jim's Steaks? Share your experiences!