“AMAZING Reuben”

Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Austin, Texas, United States
“AMAZING Reuben”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Are you kidding me? I had the most absolutely amazing reuben at this place while visiting Philadelphia. It was by far the best I've had in years. Their 'healthy salad', which is like an undressed slaw with three different kinds of pickles was excellent as well. Very prompt, very attentive service.

Visited August 2013

University Heights
“unbelievable as always”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

the waitress advised us that the only way to order one half of a turkey (smoked was great) and one half of a pastrami sandwich was to order a half and half sandwich that included both and to split it by meat. Still too much to comfortable finish but very, very good.

Newtown, Pennsylvania
“The real deal”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Some restaurants brag about portion sizes but skimp on quality; Famous pays attention to both. The traditional Jewish favorites are done to perfection; the only thing less than perfect in the smoked fish platter was a few bones in the kippered salmon. Sandwiches are huge and filled with quality ingredients. On another visit with friends, we each ordered cake for desert... One serving fed 4 of us and the other 3 went home to teenaged boys,the only humans who could possibly finish one of these portions.
Coffee is not wonderful, but that's not what people come for. Enjoy your food with a dr browns soda and be happy there is still a place like Famous!

• Visited September 2013
Philadelphia
“Bring your appetite”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stopped in for a late lunch yesterday around 1:30P. It was not busy and we found the service to be friendly nd attentive. The prices look high but the portions are insanely large. I had the Cobb Salad for $18. I liked that I could pick my cheese instead of the standard bleu cheese for the salad. The salad was huge-I took at least half of it home and made another meal out of it so two meals for $18 isn't shabby. My salad was very good-fresh lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers, nicely grilled chicken, hard boiled eggs and crispy bacon. There was not a ton of bacon and eggs so I was glad to see that. My husband had the turkey breast sandwich and ordered the fries as a side. They were $5.75 and he only ate about 1/3 of them. They are very nicely done-hand cut, fried well and nicely salted. If you are in Queen Village and hungry, stop in. It was well worth it.

Akron, Ohio
“a gem!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Oh my are these BIG sandwiches. My wife and I split one and were stuffed. The meat is GREAT quality. Service on a weekday around 1pm was a little slow and the servers seemed a bit frantic at times, so might not be the best place if you are in a rush. Also, be prepared to take some leftovers with you. If it weren't for the fact that eating here all the time would give me a heart attack from all that red meat I'd eat here every day!