“A treasured experience with history and delicious food!”
Review of City Tavern

City Tavern
Reserve a Table
Tue, 10/15
8:00 PM
Ranked #28 of 5,326 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 2 nd & Walnut Streets
Transit: The Market-Frankford "El" has a stop at 2nd and Market Streets as well as the 21 & 42 bus lines drops at our door
Description: Once called "the most genteel tavern in America" by John Adams and the first unofficial "White House," Chef Walter Staib's City Tavern has boasted the finest celebrations since 1773. With over 230 years of hospitality, City Tavern has been the centerpiece of affairs now immortalized in history. An evening at City Tavern is certain to be remembered. Just imagine sampling specialties, such as pepperpot soup, colonial turkey pot pie, roast duckling, Thomas Jefferson's sweet potato biscuits paired with ales the ales of the revolution made from George Washington & Benjamin Franklin's recipes -- all served by costumed wait staff. Watch an episode of A Taste of History on PBS, our Chef Proprietor Walter Staib will give you glimpse of what we do here at City Tavern.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The atmosphere was superb and food spectacular! Dillon was excellent with explaining the history behind various entree` selections and then proceeded to show me the cookbooks on the mantel. I was dining alone while my husband was at a conference. I must have spent two hours dining and reviewing the cookbooks! Dillon was so helpful and excellent with his job!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (4,273)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Dillon was absolutely a great wait staff wearing a uniform consistent with the time. My wife’s turkey pot pie was delicious. My steak and shrimp was tasty. This is must see.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The food here is made from original recipes from the 1700's and is absolutely wonderful. It's lovely inside and more food than one person can possibly eat. I had he turkey pot pie and it was delicious. We also loved the breatd varieties. This was recommended at the Visitors Center and was well worth the cost.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

City Tavern quickly became my family’s favorite restaurant - we have celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, and college graduations here- truly a special and unique historically based experience for locals and visitors alike. Chef Staib is world renowned - it was fun to spot the many Emmys his PBS shows have won, modestly displayed among period China and such in a curio cabinet in the entry. Ask your period dressed waitress or waiter to share the history of the restaurant - they are friendly and ensure you’re having an excellent experience. The food is so delicious, and Chef accommodated our Vegan and Gluten free dietary needs. My daughter enjoyed a tofu dish inspired by Benjamin Franklin, that Chef adjusted to be vegan, and my husband devoured the pork chop dish that was gluten free. I enjoyed the turkey pot pie and taste of historical lay based breads. Entree prices were in the low twenty’s to low thirty’s, totally worth it but making it more of a special occasion place for our family’s means.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is one of my husband's favorite restaurants. The ambiance and staff is wonderful. There was even a harp player in the lobby. Our waiter, Greg, could not have been better. The food was amazing and I just finished my dinner 2 days later! Food is delicious and portions more than ample. My husband had the duck and was wowed. I wish we had enough room left for dessert but maybe next time...