“Historical experience not to be missed”
Review of City Tavern

City Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
City Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 4,519 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 2 nd & Walnut Streets
Transit: The Market-Frankford "El" has a stop at 2nd and Market Streets as well as the 21 & 42 bus lines drops at our door
Description: Once called "the most genteel tavern in America" by John Adams and the first unofficial "White House," Chef Walter Staib's City Tavern has boasted the finest celebrations since 1773. With over 230 years of hospitality, City Tavern has been the centerpiece of affairs now immortalized in history. An evening at City Tavern is certain to be remembered. Just imagine sampling specialties, such as pepperpot soup, colonial turkey pot pie, roast duckling, Thomas Jefferson's sweet potato biscuits paired with ales the ales of the revolution made from George Washington & Benjamin Franklin's recipes -- all served by costumed wait staff. Watch an episode of A Taste of History on PBS, our Chef Proprietor Walter Staib will give you glimpse of what we do here at City Tavern.
Reviewed July 11, 2014

While visiting Philadelphia, we saw their ad and decided to eat at this historic site. Our seafood pasta was of the best quality. The scallops, crab claws, and shrimp were tender and flavorful. The Ben Franklin chicken was excellent, also. Our server, Courtney, was so very pleasant, we couldn't have enjoyed our meal more. We went for lunch which was more affordable for us.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,556)

Reviewed July 10, 2014

My wife wanted to go here while visiting for a family trip. I said, "O.K., sounds fun." Are you kidding me? This place is incredible!!! I drank beers (sampler) made from Franklin's recipe and Washington's recipe. Are you kidding me?! I ate small round sweet biscuits made from Martha Jefferson's original recipe that Thomas loved so much. Are you kidding me?! I ate Chocolate Mouse cake made from Martha Washington's recipe. Wow!!! I think Hamilton is in there somewhere too. Anyway, if history slightly interests you, go check this place out. We loved it. If you partake of alchoholic beverages, you have to try this Raspberry Champagne Shrub thing they have. The Colonial elite were drinking a version of it although maybe not as chilled as the one served here but it's realllly good. A big double thumbs up to our costumed wait staff. They were delightful. We really admire what Chef Staib has done here. He was around somewhere but we didn't get to meet him. Maybe next time. I rate this one six dots for exceptional. Five dots would be a snub. The food here is not disguised by the intrigue of the history. It truly is good food. Thank you City Tavern.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed having lunch yesterday, July 9 at the City Tavern. Our waiter, Eric was extremely hospitable and very knowledgeable of the history of the cuisine and the building in colonial America. The atmosphere, courteousness of the staff and the authentic delicious food and beverages made it a wonderful experience for our family. Nestled in a Philadelphia's historic district, it was a meeting place for our very own forefathers. We stepped into history and felt the presence of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and other American Revolutionary figures who shaped our nation's place in history. The City Tavern's Chef and Proprieter, the world-renowned Walter Staib is a master of sophisticated 18th century cuisine. If you are visiting Philadelphia, you must experience the City Tavern.

1  Thank SVM0927
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Wonderful! Amazing historical atmosphere, very friendly service, and our waitress told our room a lot of history of the place. The food was amazing. The tofu tasted a lot like chicken fried steak. The breads are amazing. Wish we'd had room for dessert!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

If you're in Philadelphia seeing all the historical sites, the best way to complete your day is to have lunch or dinner here. After all, the forefathers ate and drank here. The history is enough to come here. We are, however, here to eat. Our entire party enjoyed their meal. Our kids loved dining here. If fact, I'm pretty sure they have one of the best kids menus that I have ever seen. Both of my boys had kid sized pot pies and apple cider. They brew beer. We had two different selections at our table. Both were very good. It is in the old town near Christ Church. I think coming here is a must. Yes, the servers are dressed in their 1700s attire, but it still feels more classy than "touristy". We loved our experience here.