“Going Back in Time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of City Tavern

City Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
City Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 4,318 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Soups, American
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 2 nd & Walnut Streets
Transit: The Market-Frankford "El" has a stop at 2nd and Market Streets as well as the 21 & 42 bus lines drops at our door
Description: Once called "the most genteel tavern in America" by John Adams and the first unofficial "White House," Chef Walter Staib's City Tavern has boasted the finest celebrations since 1773. With over 230 years of hospitality, City Tavern has been the centerpiece of affairs now immortalized in history. An evening at City Tavern is certain to be remembered. Just imagine sampling specialties, such as pepperpot soup, colonial turkey pot pie, roast duckling, Thomas Jefferson's sweet potato biscuits paired with ales the ales of the revolution made from George Washington & Benjamin Franklin's recipes -- all served by costumed wait staff. Watch an episode of A Taste of History on PBS, our Chef Proprietor Walter Staib will give you glimpse of what we do here at City Tavern.
City of Love, Philadelphia
“Going Back in Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

With their colonial costumes and friendly smiles, anyone locals or tourist are sure to enjoy the City Tavern. The menu is not extensive but everything I have tried has been very good and I keep going back.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Lovely Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We visited Philadelphia in February after our original plans were canceled due to a winter storm. By chance, we caught a glance of City Tavern in a travel brochure. We decided to go there for dinner after sightseeing. The experience was wonderful! We were graciously accommodated without a reservation, window seat for two. Lovely, knowledgable waitress. She not only filled us in on the delish drinks & menu but provided a great historical overview of the Tavern, surrounding area, and a little about herself. Hope she had a wonderful wedding! Atmosphere, service, drink, food, dessert 10+. This place is spot on! A must experience whenever you are in town!

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Fabulous Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

We had a dinner for 6 in a private room and were impressed from the beginning to the end of our meal. It was a true dining experience and every course was wonderful. The service was top notch and made the night extra special as we were celebrating 2 birthdays with dear friends. Thank you and we look forward to our next visit to this terrific spot.

• Visited March 2014
Middletown, Delaware
“A Wonderful Taste of History in Modern Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Oh, my goodness! My friends flew in from FL and TN before our trip to New York, and they wanted to have dinner at the City Tavern to have some Lobster Pot Pie (one of them had eaten there before). We had the best, most attentive waitress, Pam, and it was so wonderful how she explained what each item was (even the various types of bread) and its place in history. Four of us had the lobster pot pie, and, when we stuck in our forks, we came out with an entire shrimp or a huge piece of lobster meat (not miniscule pieces but huge pieces). My daughter had the trout, and she loved it. For dessert, I had the Martha Washington chocolate cake (to die for), but the others that were tried got rave reviews, too. We appreciate the attentiveness of the staff and the deliciousness of the food. The ambience was so awesome, too. We look forward to going back again.

Newfields, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“THE BEST OF A TASTE OF HISTORY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I ate here on Saturday afternoon Feb. 22, 2014 to celebrate my wifes birthday.
My wife had the lobster pot pie, with large chunks of lobster in it, which she said was FANTASTIC ! I had the waiter pick for me a seafood dish he recommednded the seafood special which had large shrimp, large succulent scallops along with delectable crab claws, over pasta in a butter garlic sauce it was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!! I had a cranberrry champagne cocktail , which WAS SO GOOD!!! I had called about 2 weeks before made my reservation and ordered a birthday cake the waiter and bus boy brought it out & we sang Happy Birthday (this all went off like clock work.) I asked to greet Chef Walter Staub the waiter looked for him,in a very short time Chef Walter gratiously came out to great us and take pictures. We can hardly wait to drive into phylly to go to this lovely resturant again. Thank you so much from the waiter, to the busboy to the Chef Kevin & Cheryl. P.S. This is the 1st time I felt driven to write a resturant review, this is a special place!!!!

1 Thank Kevin D