“Disgusting”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between Naudian & South
Description: Downey's overlooks Penn's Landing at Front & South Streets and opened in Philadelphia in 1976. The restaurant is located in the city's premier neighborhood, Society Hill. The rich mahogany bar, wood panels & stained glass panes were imported from Country Cork in Ireland. We are delighted to share these treasures with you & hope they make you feel at home. Our proximity to Historic Philadelphia & Independence Mall makes Downey's & ideal stop for groups requiring a relaxing meal. The electric selection of shops on South Street makes it a unique shopping experience.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disgusting”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

The only thing good was five beers for $10. Sauce for the coconut shrimp was wayyyy too salty. The sampler tasted like frozen food from the supermarket.. Prob worse.. The Caesar salad wasn't even good.. How can you mess up Caesar salad?!? And our male server prob didn't smile once.. This place was such a downer to our Sunday daydate. And the place just looks shabby.. And they were out of ranch wahh!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Nicolette T

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Always. Good. Food”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

The. Beer flows . The corn beef and cabbage are. Good. Lobster dinner is a good price. Great. Irish soda. Bread. The Irish coffee. Make. Me. Want another beer. The. Potatoes with parsley. Melt in your mouth. Service. Is. Good.

Visited January 2014
Buffalo, New York
“Irish Pub”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is a nice Pub/Restaurant that includes a nice variety of seafood. I had the crabmeat stuffed Flounder which was very good and my friend had the Lobster Tails that he enjoyed. The prices were reasonable, service good and they had a nice selection of beers.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank DaleBuffalo_NewYork
Tucson, Arizona
“Food was good - but service was the WORST”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

It is such a shame for a place to have good food but the worst waiters! We went to this place because it is close to the river, and it has a nice breeze. However, coming in, I literally had to look for someone to seat us, I couldn't find anyone. Finally, we sat, and he took a very long time to just give us the menus. After this, we asked him a question from the menu, and he said that he didn't know and would ask the Chef (which is fine), except that he never came back for 15 mins, although I could see him talking to the people behind ours. When he gave us our appetizers, he did not give us a napkin, or silverware for 15 more minutes, we had been waiting and we were hungry, so we just ate with our fingers ! Another thing is, when he finally gave us the check, we payed cash (because they only take cash), and we only had big bills, too big for a tip. Giving us back our money, he just assumed that he would get that kind of tip, and didn't give us the right amount back. Anyways, I am thankful that the food was good ! The salads are very good, and the soups are too ! (especially the potato soup). I would've left if it wasn't for the food being good.

• Visited July 2014
Sewell, New Jersey
“Fresh Foods/Quality/Great Price”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

So I walk into Downeys tonight with a restaurant.com certificate not expecting much based on the ratings here . To my surprise, I was extreamly pleased. I had asked the waitress about the steak thinking its not a steak house so I should probably avoid it. She talked me into ordering it. The steak was as good if not better than any steak house in SJ/Phila. The steak was a think cut strip, fresh not frozen, and properly seasoned and cooked to medium rare as I requested. The mixed veggies of carrots, cabbage and broccoli were all cut fresh and cooked to perfection. The baked potato was also fresh and not sitting around all day and re-heated to serve.

Also ordered wings and scallops wrapped in bacon. Both were also excellent. The wings were also fresh, and the mild sauce was different from what is normally served. Probably fresh also based on the taste. Based on the quality of the mild sauce, and the care in preperation, I would love to see a garlic/parm sauce offered on the wings.

Service was also good. Francesca served us well and was very friendly.

If your looking for quality fresh food with great prices, than this is the place to go. I highly reccomend everyone try this establishment based on my experience. I dont usually rate any restaurant 5 stars, but again you can not beat the freshness of the food, the quality, and the service for the price. They are cash only which caught me by surprise, but with the reasonable pricing I fully appreciate that.

• Visited July 2014