“This place sucks”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between Naudian & South
Description: Downey's overlooks Penn's Landing at Front & South Streets and opened in Philadelphia in 1976. The restaurant is located in the city's premier neighborhood, Society Hill. The rich mahogany bar, wood panels & stained glass panes were imported from Country Cork in Ireland. We are delighted to share these treasures with you & hope they make you feel at home. Our proximity to Historic Philadelphia & Independence Mall makes Downey's & ideal stop for groups requiring a relaxing meal. The electric selection of shops on South Street makes it a unique shopping experience.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Can't believe this place is open. After reading all the reviews no surprise. Nothing available on menu. Outrageous prices. Warm beer. Service non existent. No one smiles. Bathrooms absolutely disgusting. Avoid this place like the plague.

1  Thank Ireland4ever2000

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Great pub atmosphere, which with the windows open dining section almost made it feel like a patio. I visited on Sat 06/21/2014.
My Tom Collin's had to be remade as the Bartender put soda in it instead of sour mix. Luckily my waitress Francesca bar tends there on nights she's not waitressing and was able to correct this.
I ordered the Wexford steak with coconut shrimp appetizer.
The house salad was a good size and I liked the way they cut the cucumbers.
I order the steak medium and that's the way it came. Very tender and juicy.
My appetizer arrived shortly after my dinner and it was delicious

1  Thank NFdolt
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My boyfriend is a lobster fan and he used to have this lobster special years ago and interestingly, they still maintain the same price, $16.95 for a 2-lb lobster. I think it was just ok, but considered the price, it's not too bad. I actually enjoyed the vegetables side that came with it very much.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Waitress was terrible. Four of us went for late lunch. I ordered pizza, everybody else was finished eating and I still didn't have my pizza. Waitress said they take longer to make. Really??? An hour for a pizza. She never offered to fill our empty glasses, we had to get her attention to do so. She wasn't familiar with what was on their menu, had the worse attitude ever. We asked for the manager twice, she said he didn't have time to come to our table. Have you ever heard of such service? The food everybody else got was not good. Fries were cold.
I wish I would have read the reviews before going. Don't visit this restaurant. It truly was the worst experience I've had at a restaurant in my life. I hope the waitress we had isn't a regular server.

4  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed May 13, 2014

What the heck happened to this place?! I used to go to this place quite often and it was always fun, the service and food great, etc. During a recent visit, I decided to stop in and checkout 'my old haunt' and it was totally different. The crowd changed, the service and food wasn't as good and it just seemed worn down as compared to the last time I was here (several years ago). I would have rated this place very good or excellent in the past, now it is just average at best.

2  Thank STEBAY711