“You learned nothing from Bar Rescue! Shame on you!!”
Review of Downey's Pub - CLOSED

Downey's Pub
Cuisines: American, Irish, Seafood, British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between Naudian & South
Description: Downey's overlooks Penn's Landing at Front & South Streets and opened in Philadelphia in 1976. The restaurant is located in the city's premier neighborhood, Society Hill. The rich mahogany bar, wood panels & stained glass panes were imported from Country Cork in Ireland. We are delighted to share these treasures with you & hope they make you feel at home. Our proximity to Historic Philadelphia & Independence Mall makes Downey's & ideal stop for groups requiring a relaxing meal. The electric selection of shops on South Street makes it a unique shopping experience.
Bellmore, New York
“You learned nothing from Bar Rescue! Shame on you!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went here with my girlfriend because we love Bar Rescue on Spike TV. We anticipated a well run bar with great food. When we walked in it was obvious the bar went right back to the dump hole it was. John Taffer tried to turn this bar around but the owner Dominick didn't learn a thing! I was terrified to try anything because i saw how the kitchen looked on TV and i knew it most likely went right back to the same before it was rescued. All they had going for them was a $10 bucket of beer. At least that i knew was not going to be infested with bugs. My girlfriend went down to the bathrooms and there were bugs running around. There is no upkeep on the restaurant at all. The ceilings are falling apart and they put cardboard over there broken mirrors downstairs. I am so pissed at this lazy, careless, full of excuses owner. As John Taffer would say Shame on you!!

8 Thank MikeNBFD

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“bug in water”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I had never been to Downeys so he thought he take me there for Mothers day. The first thing I experienced was Downeys class of water which was served with a nice big centipede. For those who don't know what a centipede is, it is a wormlike animal with many pairs of legs. Unfortunely, I did not notice it until I had a couple of gulps of the water. I have to say, it did put a dent in my appetied but we order food any way. The maneger , who we had to request to see, only excuse was that "it was just water" and the ice came from somewhere else so it was not Downeys fault.

I had order a jumbo shrimp cocktail for my appetizer. They brought me 3 medium size shrimp and sauce.

We had order a 3 course meal each. It took about 20 min. for each course. It got to the point, that when they brought us the last of our meal, we requested the check so we can cut down on the time we had already spent there.

The building itself is in much need of TLC.

Downeys is no where near the place it use to be years ago. The maneger just did not seem to care at all about customer service at all. She was just doing her time there. Absolutely sad for such a Philadelphia land mark.

Tina Walton
Cherry Hill , NJ

“Worse meal in 5 years”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

So sad. I spent many a night in my 20s going to this ideally situated Pub. Many years have passed and my dad convinced me we should go there for the lobster special for my mom's 80th. What do you know, no lobster even after he called in advance. No problem, we are flexible, so I thought I would have the prime rib. I've had a better cut of meat in a third world country. Really how do you screw this up. It was so fatty and grissled that it was in edible. Dessert was void of any taste. Most of my family felt the same. Add terrible, in attentive service...you get the picture. With so many other great choices in Philadelpha, stay clear of this place unless you just want a beer.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank RAK350
“Once was enough.”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Saw this place on TV and thought it would be cool to check it out. Ordered a Guiness and I was disappointed that it didn't come in a Guiness glass plus it wasn't that cold. Ordered an appetizer sampler and the potato wedges were burned and the wings just sucked.....rubbery. There were suppose to be potsticks on the platter but there were none. The waitress was very pleasant. Ok now I can say I was there but I would not go back.

1 Thank JoeTraveller101
mercer county nj
“bad everything”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

went on a beautiful spring day with my wife and bubbe...had a young girl server, asked about specials on beer/food- she knew nothing...ordered bucket of miller lights 5 for 10$...took 10 minutes and the place was empty- 5pm on a sunday...ordered apps- oysters (server didnt know where from) shrimp cocktail and clams halfshells, and mussels red...took 30 minutes- place wasnt busy...wen apps came out, NO cocktail forks, lemons, shell bowls, etc...She must have been on 1st day....Disappeared !!! another young girl server came over and was very nice and helpful, brought our lobsters which were 1.5 for 19.99 not 2 for 16.99 as advertised...no busser service and no service period except for "are you okay?" after 20 minutes into our entree....total took 3 hours to get our food on a slow sunday afternoon. the server was new and inexperienced- OK...Wheres the management???? Every other table in our section had similar problems....place is a ZERO...never go back

• Visited April 2013