“Ain't what it used to be.”
Review of Downey's Pub - CLOSED

Downey's Pub
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between Naudian & South
Description: Downey's overlooks Penn's Landing at Front & South Streets and opened in Philadelphia in 1976. The restaurant is located in the city's premier neighborhood, Society Hill. The rich mahogany bar, wood panels & stained glass panes were imported from Country Cork in Ireland. We are delighted to share these treasures with you & hope they make you feel at home. Our proximity to Historic Philadelphia & Independence Mall makes Downey's & ideal stop for groups requiring a relaxing meal. The electric selection of shops on South Street makes it a unique shopping experience.
Philadelphia
“Ain't what it used to be.”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Was "dirty" tired and the service was poor. The food was mediocre at best. Was not an "Irish Pub" in anything but its name on the door and the big bar. There are plenty of excellent pubs within the area that are far better, friendlier and with some great food. Seemed to be living off it's "old" reputation and the old Irish Whiskey Cakes they used to make fresh, years ago.

1 Thank RWQPhiladelphia

“Don't go!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Don't go!! Server was awful.. Food for awful .. Best part was half off wine .. But how can that be messed up? Save yourself the trip.. Don't go!

Austin, TX
“Nice place, bad waitstaff”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

waited for my beer, dirty silverware, overpriced potato wedges. Server couldn't have cared less what he was serving us, but the place is really nice inside and I'm guessing on a normal night, a fun place.Potato wedges were skinny, not loaded, and burnt. Wasn't going to send it back, looked like a place that would then spit in your food,

• Visited March 2013
Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
“My Opinion - Skip This One”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

What a HUGE mistake going here yesterday! We were so disappointed. I ordered the Potato Soup -- and I took two spoonfuls - as it tasted like I was eating melted butter soup. The server didn't even question why I did not eat my soup -- she was just disturbed that she had a hard time placing my entree down when my soup was still in the way (I usually help, but I refused because I was disgusted). My entree was the Chicken Pot Pie. It was just okay -- again tasted like butter and salt. I guess that is how the cook flavors his food to try to hide how horrible it is. I managed to eat about a quarter of it. Again, our server did not seem to care that I hardly ate anything. Brian's glass was empty, and not once did the server (or hostess) notice or ask if he would like another drink. Funny thing is, I am not even sure the server will even realize why we left an extremely low tip. So, if you are in Philadelphia -- my opinion is to avoid this place. The service is non-caring and horrible, and the food is really, really awful.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank ctburke26
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“my lunch experience during restaurant in philly jan2013”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The restaurant was cold and dirty service was very slow and poor After being being seated at 345 for a 330 res didnt receive the 1st course until 415 the jumbo shrimp was baby shrimp an only received 3and after waiting almost an hour for the main course it was cold.The desert was soggy and wet chocolate cake . Bad Bad choice for restaurant week

• Visited January 2013