“Awful and expensive”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ate dinner here before attending the Temple Owls basketball game. I ordered broiled scallops and he ordered the crabmeat and scallop special, along with their specialty oyster soup. The soup was like eating liquid butter. Yuck! The oysters were good, but it cost nearly ten dollars. Blah!The scallops had zero taste and the portion was extremely small considering it cost $21. My husband 's crabmeat was crunchy and terrible. The women's bathroom was filthy. And speaking of bathroom's, I have missed almost the first half of the basketball because I have been in the bathroom. Avoid this restaurant. Sorry to be so critical, but maybe it will be helpful.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband and I had a hankering for Oysters and ran into the city to Snockey's for their happy hour on a Saturday afternoon. The oysters were $.83@ and the shrimp $1.00@. The oysters were fresh, plump and delicious. We also had the U-Peel shrimp which were served hot with butter and old bay. The bar is a little tired looking but the staff friendly and it is nice sitting at the bar and meeting new people. Mugs of domestic beer for $.99 can't be beat. If you want authentic neighborhood food this is great. Happy hour ends at 4PM so it was our Lunch and Dinner.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Come here at your own risk! My boyfriend wanted to eat a cheesesteak somewhere on Snider Ave or Synder Ave..not sure which spelling. That place was closed so I yelped to get a crabhouse and I got Snockey's. We walked in and were immediately turned off by the smell of the joint but we were starving so we sat down. I don't eat meat but I do eat fish, and sometimes clam chowder recipes call for bacon so I asked the waitress if it had bacon in it and she was said she didn't know and just stood there. But I asked if she was sure it didn't, and she said "I don't know, I'd have to ask the chef" but yet, she just stood there. Then I asked her if she could go ask and she looked annoyed, made a huffy sound, and then went to ask. I was sorry I asked at that point...I mean, Im the customer right? Im paying for the food and service...my boyfriends tuna was okay. According to him, not much more than a tuna sandwich he could make at home. I had the lobster bisque which was way too buttery & creamy. I am not one to skimp on butter or cream, but there has to be a balance. That's what makes a good bisque. Lobster pieces were shredded so there really wasn't much lobster in it anyway. I played it safe and got hot shrimp...just shrimp, that had butter on the side...omg.. Shrimp was rubbery as could be and the butter was nothing more than grease. I would not go back to this place, I am sorry I went and spent 40$ on rubber food. Im sorry I even asked the waitress a question. Im pretty easy going, doesn't take much to please me. I don't care about décor, but I do care about the place Im eating in to be clean. If the service was good and the food was bad I would write a good review. Or if the food was good and the service was bad Id still write a good review. But the service and food was not good so....ehhh... hope you have a better visit than I did! Sorry, you were def a miss Snockey's!!

1  Thank indonesianprincess13
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife tells me we were there before but having read the mixed reviews I was not sure what we were getting into. Located on two street, as it is called locally, it oozes that South Philadelphia aura. Not to be mistaken for some upscale oyster bar this place is a laid back and comfortable neighborhood restaurant which just happens to have a seafood based menu that rivals the best of them at moderate prices. We had a Groupon which reduced our cost below the $53 for a dozen oysters, two of the early bird specials, 3 adult beverages, and enough food for 4 although there was only the two of us. Parking can be a problem since you are competing with the residents living in the area but you can take the bus or your chances of finding a spot (we had several available to us at 5:30 PM). 2 hour parking is permitted without a city issued permit for that area, and Washington Avenue has open parking just a block away. But back to the food. Our waitress, Arlene, was forthcoming with information and told us about the oyster special of the day, a dozen for I think $16, but they were ranked "best ever" by my dining partner. Don't go there expecting anything more than good food, simply served, in a plain, but typical South Philly restaurant. The website said seasonal outdoor seating but we saw no evidence of that. We made reservations on a Thursday evening in August but really did not need them.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Snockey's Oyster & Crab House is everything you'd want in a old-fashioned seafood restaurant. It's an interesting local eatery in the middle of a Phllie neighborhood. The seafood dishes are ample. The oyster stew is excellent. The service is very good. And you can watch the oyster shucker do his magic.