“Good for Groups” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
“Good for Groups”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is in the "Phở Heaven" area of South Philly, lots of darn good beef noodle soup spots all around. Nam Phuong continually gets my business because they have more than great phở and tables for when your family visits. The menu is huge and I have yet to be disappointed.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank AJay503

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fresh, Delicious, and Cheap”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

It tastes like Vietnam! Finally a delicious pho place. The food here was fast and the vegetables and tofu so incredibly fresh. Two bowls of vegetable pho = $11, plus fresh spring rolls which were about $3. Completely worth the trip!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Jenny E
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good food, but not the best service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Another place I eat at frequently.

Easy to get to restaurant in South Philadelphia. There is a parking lot that is shared with the supermarket and other stores.

The food here is pretty much always good. Pretty authentic Vietnamese food. Prices are definitely reasonable. A lot of room is you want to go with friends or family.

The con is not so much the food or cost, but the service. The food is brought out quickly, but that's usually the last you'll hear from the server unless you get the attention of one of them. They never come over to ask if you need a refill. They never come over to see if food is alright or if anything else is needed. Most times that is fine, but every so often it makes me want to bang my head against the table since they won't come over.

Overall, it's worth the visit if you want good affordable Vietnamese food. Also not bad if you want to have semi-private conversation with a dinner party.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Wilmington, Delaware
“Pad Thai to die for!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Every two weeks, we head into Philly to visit one of the Asian supermarkets on Washington St. We usually take the opportunity to have brunch at one of the local restaurants, and for our last two trips, we tried Nam Phuong (which shares a very overcrowded parking lott with our favorite supermarket).

This is one of those no-nonsense restaurants where you get seated straight away, hot tea is delivered and your order taken within a minute or so, and then your food is out within 5-10 minutes.

Everything is very fresh and tasty here, and the portions are generous. So what Vietnamese delicacies have I enjoyed my last two visits? Actually, I ordered the pad thai off their list of specials. I have to admit to being a little dubious the first time I ordered it (I was breaking one of my food rules that if you go to an ethnic restaurant, it is always best to stick what they're known for).

As it was, any reservations disappeared when my meal arrived and I took my first mouthful. It was absolutely sublime. An incredible taste explosion that I just couldn't get enough of. I find that mix of shrimp, chicken, peanut and perfectly cooked noodles addictive. After inhaling my meal, I tried to determine why it had been better than any pad thai I had previously, and the only thing that I can come up with is that their use of fish sauce, which just gives it that fuller, richer, more multi-dimensional taste.

We went back to Philly yesterday, and I turned down every other brunch suggestion, saying that I wanted to go back to Nam Phuong, and have the pad thai again, if it was on the special menu. Sure enough, it was on there, and it was just as good as the last time.

My wife had the seafood curry, and while she said that it was good, she was disappointed that it used artificial crab sticks (I shudder at those.. what an abomination).

Great food, fast service (albeit a little business-like, as another reviewer mentioned) and great prices. Next time, I promise to try something else.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
York, ME
“A big, crowded place with very good food reasonably priced.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were there with a party of 8 on a Sunday night. It was very busy, but they have lots of large tables, and we were seated right away. The friendly, if business-like, staff took care of us very well, at whatever pace we wanted. Delicious apps to share, and of course lots if choices on the menu. Everything we tried was very good, and very reasonably priced. The ambiance is one of a very noisy, bright restaurant, but we certainly recommend the place.

• Visited November 2012