“Had to Return for Dessert” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: City Center East
Denver, Colorado
“Had to Return for Dessert”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

On a recent vacation to Philadelphia we visited the Reading Terminal Market in hopes of finding a real Philly cheese steak sandwich (we found a great one at Carmin's). But my wife had spotted the Dutch Eating Place when we were walking around and said we had to return there after lunch for dessert. Three of us had the Apple Dumpling with all the fixings - it was wonderful. So wonderful, that we had to return the next day for lunch and another apple dumpling from the Dutch Eating Place. We loved sitting at the counter and watching what everyone was eating.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank DenverDenny

• Greek first
Hackettstown, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Burger!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

I've only tried the cheeseburger here, but I loved it, as did my wife and 3 kids, very good! Maybe breakfast or brunch next month.

Visited March 2013
Cortlandt Manor
“Don't see what all the fuss is about”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Walking through the Reading Market, I'm always surprised at the line waiting for counter space at breakfast time. Recently I was walking through around 9 AM on a Wednesday and was surprised to find only about half the seats occupied. At last, I could finally enjoy generous portions and good hearty homestyle cooking. Boy, was I ever disappointed. Ordered chipped beef served over a bed of steak fries. It was just gravy and if there was any beef in it, well you fooled me. And it wasn't even good gravy, basically just made right out of the jar. Even the coffee, though piping hot, was kind of weak and unimpressive. After the plates had been cleared away, I was still drinking my coffee when the waitress came over and said that she would give me a lid so I could take my coffee and leave. By this time less than half the seats were occupied and so there was no line waiting for a seat. I have no idea why she was in such a hurry for my departure. Very disappointed.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent sandwich”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

I had a reuben and it was so good, I can't wait to get another one! The service was great despite being busy. The atmosphere was really cool too as customers were all talking to each other at the lunch counter. Very good experience!

Visited November 2013
Detroit, Michigan
“Tops My Friendliest Place to Eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

This place sells a great grilled ruben sandwich. No surprises: Tastes great but don't count calories.

On the super ++ side: You will meet people from all races and walks of life at the counter. Relax and enjoy your meal -- you will make new friends from different backgrounds and from all ages. It was great to see such diversity appreciating friends of all ages. This is America at its birthplace.

• Visited October 2013