“Yummy noodles, great lunch”
Review of Pagoda Noodle Cafe

Pagoda Noodle Cafe
Ranked #2,227 of 4,406 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: City Center East
Neighborhood: City Center East
Barre, Vermont
“Yummy noodles, great lunch”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The food here is well executed and tasty. Good lunch special and I like having the chili oil on the table so I can adjust the heat to my taste.

Visited February 2014

mid-Atlantic region
“ID check? What?! For $10 & a movie wait, it's ok-- but not a rave.”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The best thing I can say about Pagoda Café is that it's a comfy place to hang out while waiting for the movies. (It's next door to the Ritz East, and 2 blocks from the Ritz 5.) Pagoda Cafe is convenient and comparatively inexpensive to the other Olde City restaurants, but it's nothing to rave about.

I like hot and spicy Chinese food. My entrée of "Explosive Shrimp" was just a fizzle-- sort of boring and disappointing. As hungry as I was, I'm glad that our time was limited and I didn't order more. The portions were generous-- my bowl of Chicken Corn Chowder was about a quart! But even so, who wants more mediocrity?

Pagoda Café is basically a simple diner-level restaurant-- instead of burger and fries, it serves noodles and spring rolls. There's no real ambiance for a nice dating or dining experience. So, if you keep that in mind and just order appetizers and soups, then you should be ok. Yeah, I'd go again, but only with the intent of spending $10 while waiting for a movie at the Ritz. No other reason to go.

One more point: Our bill was a fair $41. But when I paid with my AmEx card, the server came back and asked for my ID. As a 53 year-old restaurant-goer, I found that very, very odd. Hmmm?

• Visited January 2014
“Real and honest Chinese food”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Very good quality at a very good price. Do not expect a fancy place, it's not, but the atmosphere is quiet and comfortable, you will feel fine.
Very good for dinners. It is worth trying it (Peking Duck Dinner is very nice for two!)

• Visited April 2013
Philadelphia
“Unusual hiding spot but good Chinese Noodle fare at a reasonable price”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Tucked away in the bottom of a concrete parking garage with no direct street front visibility, it's a miracle people stumble onto this place. It's located next to Penn's Welcome Park.
Attractive place to eat if you are heading to a Penn's Landing event or the Ritz East which is right next door or the Ritz 5 around the corner.
Good food, very good and very quick service, we've been here several times and never disappointment. Only surprise is that the check is so small in an Old City restaurant

• Visited May 2013
East Brunswick, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love Pagoda Noodle Cafe”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I found Pagoda when we were dating and she still loved in Philadelphia. That was waaay back in 2001 or 2002. We enjoed coming here and almost alway ordered a bowl each of the Noodle Soups. Hre favorite is hte one with the fresh veggies and I enjoy the shrimp dumplings. Almost always we both have udon noodles in our soup.

Next it's on the main course which almost always includes Peking Duck. THye sere the duck tow ways, so when you order it's like ordering two dishes. The first way is the traditional Peking Duck with scallions, cucumber and pancakes. The second way, is the left over duck shredded and added to veggie mixture which is stir fried and served in a wonton basket. Almost always take some of this home and it reheats well.

We also usually order one other dish, again knowing it coming home with us. Finally dessert. The fried banana's are awesome. Not over done and served with a simple syrup and honey- devine!

Speaking of taking stuff home, we now live in Central NJ, about 60 miles from Philly, halfway been NYC and Philly- roughly an hour's drive. Although we have good Chinese and Asaina restuarants in our area, we still come back to Pagoda for a meal when we are feeling nostalgic about out time in Philly and want somehting we just can't get at home.

• Visited July 2013