“Good Pizza, a bit overpriced.”

Pietro's Coal Oven Pizzeria
Reserve with OpenTable
Pietro's Coal Oven Pizzeria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 4,519 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Walnut Street Between 17th and 18th Street
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Went for a Sunday lunch and was seated right away. Ordered the cheese Pizza and the sausage pizza with spinach. Pizza wasn't as flavorable as I would have liked. The plain cheese was strangly more flavored than the sausage. Service was standard. Not as bad as many of the other reviewers mentioned. Overall, I thought it was good and would probably return to try another type of pizza.

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

A group of ten of us went out for a friend's birthday party, and we had a wonderful time. It was a little annoying that everyone from our party had to be there before we sat. Eventually, they sat us even though we were waiting for a few more people. The staff were accommodating, but not too friendly. Sometimes I felt like a bother but our waitress was always there if we needed anything. Just wasn't too pleased about it. Haha :)

We had some amazing pizza and my friends loved their entrees as well. The calamari & sausages were a big hit at our table. It was a great spot for us to eat, and I would recommend it especially if you're looking for a nice place to get some awesome pizza!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I visited Pietro's in Philadelphia almost ten years ago with a group of college friends, and had such a positive experience that when I returned to the city a decade later on business, I made it a priority to visit Pietro's again. Although my memory had amplified my expectations over the years, the food was still good and I enjoyed the style and feel of the restaurant. My memories of the second visit are not quite as "perfect" as the first, but I would visit the restaurant again if I were in the area (although I probably wouldn't make it an absolute priority next time around). The restaurant is great for groups of friends, but a little less comfortable for solo diners. Also, at my current stage of life, I would probably enjoy Pietro's much more for lunch than a late dinner since the food was "heavier" than I recalled.

All-in-all, I was a little disappointed that my second experience didn't quite match the first, but it is likely a result of many factors rather than just the food and restaurant (i.e., travelling alone this time rather than with friends). I probably should have left my memory alone rather than risking some deflation with a second visit. It should be a fair tribute to Pietro's that I remembered the restaurant for ten years and made a pointed effort to go back at the first opportunity.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The $8.95 lunch specials (presently) at Pietro's is an outstanding value. Full entree' plates at a fraction of the cost. The food is delivered properly cooked and well presented. The staff are friendly and accomodating (especially for busy executives not able to dally at lunch, but want more than a snadwich).

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I wanted to really like this place. Unfortunately, the food was just not that great. I had the breaded goat cheese which was ok. And way before I was done with my appetizer, my Pizza Napoli was already served which made for a pretty crowded table. The Napoli was bland. After drizzling some olive oil and salt on the pizza, it was ok. I may come back just to give it a fair chance since my expectations have been lowered.