“Excellent food and service ”

La Famiglia Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
La Famiglia Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #138 of 4,538 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Market St .
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We arrived late one night during the week and we were the last table seated. The staff was very professional and did not rush us at all despite the fact we were the last in the restaurant. The food was excellent I had their version of a caprese which came with a huge piece of delicious mozzarella easily shared by two. The calimari was also very good. My partner had the whole bronzino encased in salt which they filleted at the table. It was fun to watch the server fillet the fish and he did an excellent job. The fish was very good and is served with a very nice sauce. I also had a very good pasta dish. I would definitely return. There is outside seating but we sat inside which was very nice.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

The main restaurant is very small; however, there are two private rooms available for larger parties. The building is very historic in nature and has a bit of a musty smell, but expected and not overpowering. The wine list is a huge book with a page for each label and you can view the wine cellar area when you head downstairs to the restroom. The pasta's were mouth watering and everyone in our group loved their meals. The desserts looked amazing with a wide variety of choices, but no one in our party indulged.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Authentic italian food , meal was amazing ,the service impeccable
Reasonnably priced
well located walking distance from the Hotel Monaco

Reviewed May 28, 2014

An excellent restaurant serving traditional Italian food. On a visit to Philadelphia, this restaurant was recommended by our hotel and we were not disappointed. Our dinner was the best we had in Philadelphia with salad and pasta to start and fish for our main course. The service was excellent.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I have been going to this restaurant for many years. The last two years I started to see it slipping a bit, when waiters had been established with the restaurant for many years started to disappear. I went to the restaurant this pass saturday to celebrate my dads 65th B Day. Two words would describe the event TRAIN WRECK!! It started bad with the fact that our reservation was for 8:30 and we did not sit till 9:15. The bar tender was clueless behind the bar and instead of asking the entire group what they wanted to drink, she made each drink one at a time and had to ask many times what the person was drinking. When we finally sat down to our table my mother over heard the waiter tell his team to push us back because they were behind. We had to continue to ask for menus and when we placed our orders it took (not exaggerating) 1hour for our appetizers to come out. The main dishes came out and the problems continued to keep coming! My sister ordered a pasta dish which was the easiest dish to make came out 5-7 min after all the other dishes. One of my favorite dishes of this restaurant which I have had many times is a veal chop bone in, with a black truffle sauce on top. I specifically said the name of the dish and pointed to it on the menu. My wife as well as others new the dish that was given to me was not what I ordered. When my mom informed the waiter it was the wrong dish, he got his back up against the wall and got nasty. I have never sent a dish back nor taking frustration out on a waiter being the fact I tended bar for many years. The waiter approached me with a cocky voice and opened the menu and said " sir this is what you ordered"! Big mistake on his part was I was the one the entire night keep the table calm and saying lets make the best of this. Now he is going to tell me what I ordered and give me attitude.... I don't think so.... and thats when for the first time in my life I let the waiter really have it! Service 101 tells you even if I ordered the wrong dish ( which I did not) he should have said sir I am sorry let me bring you out another right away. A few closing points on why this place is not worth the money in the least bit.
1st We ordered 3 bottles of Super Tuscan Wine. Super Tuscan needs to breathe and we should have been asked would we like the wine all opened. ( Never happened )
2nd This place has a beautiful wine cellar and its suppose extremely knowledgable for wine and its presenting of the wine. Again the wine should have been asked to recommended to be all opened to it could breathe, and second the sommelier never visited the table.
3rd. When ordering salad in a restaurant like this the salad plate and fork should be chilled....neither were.
4th The staff did not work the table at all.... my martini glass was finished before I ordered and it was left on the table until my entree was taking away. I also had 2 water glasses in front of me.

This place at one time was on top of its game and one who knows the little things that seperate excellence from average will clearly see this and will know plenty other spots for the same prices but much more exquisite service.

No brainer for me I will never return to this mediocre place again!!!...

1  Thank Jen S