“Go to Chapterhouse Instead” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Breakfast, Seating
Neighborhood: City Center East
Philadelphia, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go to Chapterhouse Instead”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2009

The Last Drop is in no way a nice place to hang out, for a variety of reasons. The coffee/food is very expensive. The service is just terrible - I walked in on a whim with my wife while we were walking around our neighborhood, and although my wife was buying coffee to go, the gentleman behind the counter berated me for not purchasing something as well. The establishment is dirty, on both sides of the counter.

Go to Chapterhouse on 9th btwn Bainbridge and South. They have a laid back atmosphere, all the staff is friendly, and it's clean. The Last Drop is the last place I'd ever want to sit and read or do work.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gradsey

“Interesting spot.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

Interesting spot.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Used to be a staple spot...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2008

Used to be a staple spot to stop at.

epbomb1
“Great Coffee, Uncomfortable Atmosphere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2008

I have not frequently found very good coffee shops in my travels, but in terms of coffee the Last Drop is a top notch facility. Unfortunately, I feel the negatives of this cafe seem to outweigh the positives. I used to live in the area and frequented the Last Drop almost everyday, I came to know it as a welcome, pleasant, cleanly, romantic place. However, since the time I lived nearby and now that I just pass through I have found the Last Drop to have become a much different place. My fiancee and I were in Philadelphia and I decided to bring her to the Last Drop, remembering it to be a nice place. What I found and what she found were quite different. The cleanliness of the facility was lacking, the furniture looked like it had been cut by knives with the stuffing coming out of the benches, and a serious 'better than you' attitude from the employee who was on staff. The music on the first floor was so loud my fiancee and I were unable to talk to one another in our normal voices. We took the trip into their basement seating area and it looked like it had been ransacked, stacks of books piled randomly on most of the tables, piles of dirty dished on the tables and trash cans, empty cups on tables and on the floor, and a big dead plant blocking the stained glass window. It seemed like most of the customers in the basement were using the free internet on their laptops in the basement as the first floor was so loud, so it did not appear to be just my fiancee and my idea to go down to escape the awful music played so loud on the first floor. My fiancee expressed that she wanted to leave immediately when she saw how dirty it was and now I regret having had brought her there. The coffee was good, but that is overshadowed by the poor service, loud music, and dirty conditions. It's such a shame, it was once such a great place to hang out but not a place I would ever return to again.

3 Thank epbomb1
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Bohemian, rustic, and right across the street from Dirty Frank's. Great place to imbibe caffeine and read.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2008