“Not your everyday cafe”
Review of White Dog Cafe

White Dog Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
White Dog Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 4,370 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 34th Street
Transit: Conveniently located a block east from the 36th Street stop on the Rt. 34 Trolley; two blocks south from the 34th Street stop on the Market-Frankford Line, and just around the corner from the 42 and 21 bus routes at 34th Street.
Description: White Dog Cafe was one of the original farm to table restaurants, founded in 1983 by social activist Judy Wicks promoting community environmental sustainability. White Dog Cafe is committed to serving the finest ingredients from local farms promoting sustainable, healthy dining and a strong community. Our contemporary American cuisine is prepared from our heart, blending seasonal ingredients and bold flavors with a refined presentation. Our three locations in Wayne, Haverford and University City provide unique and comfortable dining rooms paying tribute to everyone's beloved best friend. Open for Lunch, Brunch and Dinner with Happy Hour specials.
Cleveland, Ohio
“Not your everyday cafe”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Neat place. Very dynamic menu - lots of interesting choices. From fish to pork to pasta to steak there is something for everyone. Service is very good, fun atmosphere. Food is fresh and very tasty

• Visited November 2013

• Korean first
FORT COLLINS
“really good food, interesting ingredients, best dinner rolls”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We have been here before . MAKE RESERVATIONS. Very popular with the Drexel and Penn students. Lots of interesting items on menu. ample portions, wonderful crusty rolls-if you want to break from your gluten free hell, here is the place to do so. Homemade soups, novel food combinations, wonderful homemade desserts. I doubt you could go wrong with any entrée.

• Visited October 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Amazing”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I went for dinner and it was absolutely amazing. I had the tuscan kale salad and a side of brussels sprouts with smoked bacon and it was perfect. The salad was delicious and fresh. Dessert was the best part though. My friend and I enjoyed dinner so much that we returned for brunch, which did not disappoint. The service was excellent, the restaurant itself was beautiful, and the food was great. A little pricey, but definitely worth it considering food is locally sourced, non-GMO and mostly organic.
Would recommend to a friend.

• Visited November 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
“Dependable choice - something for everyone”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I was with a big, diverse group of friends from dedicated carnivores to vegans. The diverse menu had something for everyone and the food was all very good. Our server did a great job with our rowdy, high maintenance group...he was very accommodating. I had an excellent burger, my wife really enjoyed her pasta dish. A solid experience all around!

New Castle, Delaware
“A disappointing visit”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I visited the White Dog Café for the first time in a few years and was, surprisingly, disappointed. I requested a hearty black tea, such as an Irish or English breakfast tea and a crab cake sandwich special. When I decided to steep my tea bag, I saw I had a Darjeeling tea and reminded the server I had requested a hearty breakfast tea, to then learn that they do not have any breakfast teas and that I had been served the Darjeeling because she thought it the tea nearest my request. The brioche bun had far too much dough for the crabcake, which was barely lukewarm and overpowered by the bread and accompaniments. It oozed out of the sandwich but even solo, didn't have much flavor. Bacon on it was not crisp and so tough that it could not be eaten. In fairness, the server did say she would replace the bacon when she saw it set aside but I was really ready to call it a bad choice and move on to my nearby appointment. I have patronized the White Dog as long as it has existed and hope that my next visit will reflect my previous experiences. It just seemed too many misses not to note and share.

Visited November 2013