“Just Not What It Used to Be”
Review of White Dog Cafe

White Dog Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
White Dog Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 4,429 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 34th Street
Transit: Conveniently located a block east from the 36th Street stop on the Rt. 34 Trolley; two blocks south from the 34th Street stop on the Market-Frankford Line, and just around the corner from the 42 and 21 bus routes at 34th Street.
Description: White Dog Cafe was one of the original farm to table restaurants, founded in 1983 by social activist Judy Wicks promoting community environmental sustainability. White Dog Cafe is committed to serving the finest ingredients from local farms promoting sustainable, healthy dining and a strong community. Our contemporary American cuisine is prepared from our heart, blending seasonal ingredients and bold flavors with a refined presentation. Our three locations in Wayne, Haverford and University City provide unique and comfortable dining rooms paying tribute to everyone's beloved best friend. Open for Lunch, Brunch and Dinner with Happy Hour specials.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We've been to the White Dog Cafe many times before. The restaurant has always featured locally sourced food made in interesting ways in a friendly setting. This visit was the first that we have made since new owners took over the restaurant several years ago. We went for brunch.

Unfortunately, though the products continue to be locally sourced, the food was just not up to the standards of previous visits. The brunch menu was extremely limited and not especially memorable. More like a limited menu with a few egg and breakfast items thrown in to say it was brunch. Not even a bread basket was available -- this used to be a highlight of unique baked items that we all enjoyed.

The setting remains nice and the wait staff were very good. But, the White Dog is not what the restaurant used to be. With the increasingly diverse and exceptional restaurant scene in Philadelphia, I don't think we will be returning.

There are newer reviews for White Dog Cafe

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Everything I tasted there was great. The fish (Halibut, Salmon) was great, the Tuna tartar was also good. Service is very high quality if you appreciate this. The atmosphere is of a very upscale restaurant, prices are high, but reasonable.

Weaknesses:
1. BORING... the food is not creative, of the kind you can find in any restaurant.
2. I didn't like the deserts. The blueberry pie was similar to those you buy in Starbucks.

1  Thank AcademicWithFamily
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Loved this restaurant. The menu is great and very diverse. Shared the mixed greens salad and it was wonderful. We had a fish dish and rigatoni, both wonderful finishing with coffee and rhubarb bread pudding. Everything was delicious, service excellent and loved the bathrooms although I couldn't decide easily which one to use. I hope to come back but loved it!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had not been to the White Dog Cafe in several years and decided to try it with our vegetarian son who was staying in University City for a few days. I had checked the menu on line a few days before and sort of had my heart set on short ribs, and was disappointed when after looking at the menu and not finding that entree, our very friendly wait person told us that there was a new chef and a new menu as of the previous day. However, once I got over my initial disappointment, I had ample choices and my daughter and I both enjoyed the squash blossom enchildas preceded by mushroom soup, which although excellent seemed a bit pricey at $9 for a small bowl of soup. My vegetarian son was pleased with his choices and my carnivorous husband found his steak excellent especially since they were willing and happy to substitute sauteed mushrooms instead of the swiss chard listed on the menu.

We ordered 2 beers, 3 appetizers, 4 main courses, 3 desserts and 4 beverages and our bill came to a little over $40 per person before tax and tip which I guess is considered moderate these days.

My only real complaint was my inability to get hot coffee-the first cup was lukewarm-the replacement-supposedly just out of the machine only a bit hotter, but not really hot-the tea drinkers were happier. We would return,

Reviewed June 10, 2013

White Dog Cafe (University City) is a great place for brunch. Well-prepared, locally sourced food, and a great beer selection. Plus, if you love dogs, you need to look at all of the art on the walls!