“old school Italian”
Review of Saloon

Saloon
Reserve with OpenTable
Saloon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #251 of 4,351 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Cross street: Fitzwater Street
Cocoa Beach, Florida
“old school Italian”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I went for my 50th birthday with my sweetheart. Such an interesting place. The decor is wonderful. The service was good, food was great. The stuffed poblano's were so good. The sauce on the filet was to die for! My veal was fork tender, no need for a knife. The desserts were wonderful. It was a lovely dinner. I see why it is there for all these years and still going strong. Also has free parking which is great.

• Visited May 2013

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific food, cozy space”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband picked me up from Philly airport last Saturday evening. He had earmarked his Zagat for a handful of really great restaurants and wanted me to choose one. We had been to the Saloon many years ago, and I remembered how wonderful the meal there had been, so we called and got a table for two (luckily, because it was crowded, even at 6 pm). I had the bracciole (melt in your mouth filet of beef) and we shared the gnocchi, which was awesome with pear and blue cheese and walnut. I have never had better. My husband had the veal chop and raved about that, too. We were so happy we chose this restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
Newport Beach, California
“A Step Back In Time”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had been to the Saloon before for business dinners and always enjoyed it. I found myself in Philadelphia with my wife and daughter and thought I would take a step back in time and take them there. WE LOVED IT! The food was as food as good as I remembered, the service was great and the atmosphere was perfect. I started with the house salad which showed an attention to detail often lost on a starter dish. I then had the braciole which was a 12 on a scale of 10. The meat was tender and delicious and the sauce was as good as it gets. My daughter had a steak which was perfectly prepared and my wife's lobster dish was wonderful as well. Now that my daughter is going to school in Philly, I will be at Saloon every chance I get!

• Visited March 2013
Vineland, New Jersey
“Still the same, after all these years”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

It has been at least 10 years since I've had the pleasure of dinning at The Saloon. During the 70"and 80's, I was a semi-regular. In fact, I go back to a time when they only accepted cash, and then began to accept American Express.

My wife and I were scheduled to fly out of Phila at 10:00 PM on Saturday Match 16th for the beginning of a trip to London and Paris to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The decision to dine at The Saloon ending up being one of the best decisions I made, because it set the mood with a replay of everything we remembered about the absolute perfection of the food and service the saloon has always been famous for. Expensive? Yes, But worth every cent.

Wait staff as friendly and as competent as you will every find. Warm, inviting, Italian, upscale, cozy, elegant - all of them.

What a winner, and maybe EVEN BETTER, after all these years.

• Visited March 2013
Exton, Pennsylvania, United States
“Best kept secret in Philly”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Food and service were excellent, pricey but worth it. Bartenders were friendly and helpful and the surprise semi private room overlooking the street below was a nice touch. The ragtime trio playing in the upstairs bar, piano, clarinet and banjo was a great way to put a night cap on a perfect evening.

• Visited February 2013