“Try the Shrimpburger!”

Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed August 10, 2014

This is a cute little diner right in downtown Philadelphia. My husband and I like to go to diners because they are generally locally owned and the food is not 'assembly line'. It's also a great opportunity to try and discover different things.

It was a beautiful evening, so we sat outside in the very nice and pretty spacious patio area. I really liked the ambience - BUT the shrimpburger was the star! :) So often, when one orders something like this (like a crab cake, for instance), what is delivered is a lot of breading with a little bit of shrimp/crab. Well, this is NOT one of those! This sandwich was comprised of a lot of diced up shrimp just held together enough to pan fry it. Mirin, a type of Japanese rice vinegar, gave it extra flavor, along with the miso dressing. My husband laughed because I mentioned how good it was so many times that he told me I should make it..

So, I did make it according to our server's instructions (which the chef was gracious to share), and I'm telling you, it's the only way to ever have a shrimp 'sandwich'. :) I also have to give kudos to the French fries. They were fresh cut and fried and simply delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Silk City Diner and I highly recommend going.

Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I went here based on the reviews from Guy Fieri's show on Food Network. I was a little skeptical at first because of the looks but forget the saying first impression is the last. Uh uh My girlfriends and I got there for brunch and spent almost 20 minutes deciding what to get because everything looked so good. I got the chicken and waffles which were AMAZING. The andouille sausage gravy gave it a kick and the corn puree calmed it back down. We sat outside and felt so comfortable that we were there til they started preparing for dinner (4 hours) and didn't get kicked out. The service is great too. I'd definitely suggest eating here if you're ever in Philly looking for someplace off the beaten path.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

The ambience to this diner was definitely a little strange, seeing as how we passed by a loud club and then a quiet 70's/80's style? diner to get outside to where we were eating, but the outdoor seating was a nice area in itself.

Food was pretty good - the grilled chicken sandwich with broccoli rabe on ciabatta bread was delicious, and the fries were great as well. Didn't get to try much else, but it seemed like they had an interesting cocktail selection, in which I chose not to indulge.

This was a decent, affordable place to grab a meal with friends, especially for a late dinner.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

We picked the Silk City Diner because we saw it on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. We have been to other Triple D restaurants that have been horrible like Melt Bar & Grilled in Cleveland. The Silk City Diner renewed our faith in Triple D and Guy Fieri. It's a cool little joint with a nice, eclectic patio. The wait staff is friendly and attentive. The food was awesome. My husband had their famous fried Chicken which was a sweet and spicy twist on traditional fried chicken. I had the burger with goat cheese. They have some really interesting choices on their menu. We will be back to try them!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stopped by here Saturday around 3PM for lunch outside on a beautiful day. However! When you are just sitting there waiting for food, the sun gets REALLY hot and the umbrella over our table was not shading anything.

We were quickly seated outside where there were 2 or 3 open tables but by the time we were leaving there were a lot of open tables so 4ish would be a better time to come.

The boyfriend had the Grilled Chicken Sandwich $12 (prosciutto, sharp provolone, broccoli rabe, long hots, basil pesto mayo, ciabatta) and enjoyed it.

I had the Smoked Salmon Benedict $12 (house cured salmon, sautéed spinach, toasted english muffin, dill hollandaise, roasted potatoes) that was pretty good. The hollandaise sauce was a bit too creamy for me but overall the dish was good. The english muffin was nicely toasted and the salmon was good. It also came with a thin slice of melon that the boyfriend took.

Our waitress was hard to get a hold of by the end but other than that, she was nice.

Might be back since the location is pretty convenient and having the option of a big outdoor seating or nice indoor seating is nice.

1  Thank Jo L