“Simply wonderful”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Cross street: Fulton Street
Transit: The southbound 47 bus stops right across the street, at 8th and Catharine/Fulton.
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We visited Paloma on a Saturday night. Parking was an issue but we were able to find a spot about a block away, I thought it would be worse. The dining room is nicely appointed and while the tables are close, you don't feel as if you're on top of the other diners. It is a BYOB. Our server was very knowledgeable and friendly. Our dinners were simply delicious. As my husband said, I only left behind the parts I didn't like.... which was the plate! I had the crab cake dinner and it was divine and different and artistically created. My husband had the filet and if he could have licked the reduction sauce off the plate he would have, he thoroughly enjoyed it. The meat was cooked perfectly. To finish off, Barb, one of the owners, described in great detail all the dessert offerings. You can tell by talking to her that she has a passion for what she does and it shows in the desserts - I had a special which was an ancho dusted pumpkin brownie with freshly made gelato - it was worth every calorie. My husband had the bread pudding with gelato - he proclaimed it a hit. The gelatos are amazing and Barb will explain their flavors in detail - I wish I could have tried them all!
This is not your typical Mexican food and it is worth your time to check it out for yourself.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We spent 4 years visiting my son at college in PA. It was only after he graduated that we discovered Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine and this was our second visit. Decor is calming and sophisticated. Service is attentive and friendly. The chef, Adán Saavedra, and his wife Barb are the most gracious of hosts, with Barb checking in on the tables. Food excellent, allowing the flavors to shine through. The Corn Chowder Paloma is a star and they have kindly shared the recipe on their web site if you are ambitious. I ordered the Crab Cake Purse Arcelia - the crab was so tender and was the essence of what crab should taste like - the sauce complemented perfectly. I tried my husband's Pechuga de Pato - I adore duck and this did not disappoint, it worked so well with the sweetness of the shallots and smokiness of bacon. A perfect dish as the days get chillier. Save room for dessert, as the multi-talented Barb makes them all! The warm Mexican Brownie with gelato is not to be missed, if you like your chocolate. My son ordered a variety of gelati and sorbets and they were all fabulous, as was my White Chocolate Cheesecake with cajeta (Mexican caramel sauce.) Paloma is BYOB, which makes a fine dining experience very reasonable.

We still go to PA several times each season for football games at my son's alma mater. I am not a football fan, but endure the 6 hr drive and 3 hr game so that I can be with my family - and dine at Paloma on the way home!

2  Thank GreatTravel001
Reviewed August 26, 2012

When your friends call you up and say "we're eating mexican tonight" it usually sends visions of tacos, enchiladas, refried beans and other gastronomic horrors through my brain. Chef Adan certainly changed that perception with his cooking. If you think of Taco Bell on the far left, Paloma is as far right as you can get. The food was fantastic - it was light on the stomach, challenging to the tastebuds and generally delightful all around.

We didn't find a bad thing on the menu - but I'd recommend the duck breast, filet steak and any of the fish dishes. You also have to try the soups, as the corn chowder is one of the signature dishes, but the soup of the day was a spicy mix of cactus pad, cucumber, peppers and a few other ingredients. Amazing.

We also received great service and one of the owners came out to check on us - always a plus.

Two important notes - 1. It's a BYOB and 2. Parking can be a bit challenging on the streets.

4  Thank John C
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Paloma's is a wonderful place for dinner. The menu is comprehensive. Each dish is prepared expertly. The signature appetizer dish, Corn Chowder, is out of this world. I had the crab cake for the main course. It also was wonderful. Service is friendly as well. Both the owner and the owner's wife came at different times to ask how we were doing. Until they get their liquor license, they are BYOB. Run, don't walk, to this place in the heart of Philadelphia. Their premise is that true Mexican cuisine has a French touch to it. They sure do it well.

2  Thank Joei
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I was a frequent patron at this restaurant at it's original location on Castor Avenue. The food there was always top notch. I was very happy to receive notification that they were re-opening in South Philly.

The food is still amazing and consistent. The chef (Adan) knows my son has a preference for filet mignon, and when they call to confirm a reservation, I'm always told that the chef will make sure he has a filet waiting.

I have been to Paloma at the original and new location at least 25 times with friends, relatives, business associates, etc., and can not recall one bad meal or disappointed guest. Food ordered has ranged from fish to seafood, to game, to meat and the meal is always great.

Of course dessert is a whole new experience when compared to other places. The chef's wife is very animated and the dessert chef. She will not be shy discussing here creations.

This has been our favorite go-to spot for special events or when dining out with friends. Take it from someone who has been there many times........the food is amazing and consistent.

5  Thank David W