“I had not been there in years, but the quality and taste is still superb!”

South Street Souvlaki
Ranked #354 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed July 7, 2013

It was such a treat to be able to be in Philadelphia and have a meal at this restaurant. Fortunately, we were there right before they closed for 5 weeks! The food is consistently delicious. The same staff has been there for years, so the owners are doing a lot of things right! I love Greek food because of South Street Souvlaki! Note: the menu still states this: "If you can’t control your children please do not patronize our restaurant."

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I'm from Chicago and we have wonderful Greek restaurants. By contrast, I haven't had even a decent gyros since I moved to Philadelphia. But tonight, eating at South Street Souvlaki, the tide has favorably turned. A really terrific dinner of Greek salad, dolmades, mousaka and baklava. A fun atmosphere (and full bar) on a fun street that's full of action and colorful pedestrians. Reasonable prices, too.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

South Street Souvlaki has been a staple on South Street for 33 years, and the food does not disappoint. The only negative things one could say are that it doesn't have much ambience. You sit down, the overtly friendly waitress takes your order, the food is brought out in just a few minutes, and pretty soon you are headed out the door. There is not a lot of lingering over drinks and dinner. It is not a fancy place: no white linen tablecloths or tuxedos waiters. You go there for the Greek food, which is prepared and served extremely quickly. I cannot think of a weak link in their menu. For the vegetarian, there are a number of good choices from which to pick. The prices are quite inexpensive. They also have a takeout side.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I love this place. I used to live in the neighborhood where it is located, and would frequently walk to the place and order food for take out from them.

After having moved out of Philadelphia, I had the opportunity to return to this restaurant as an outsider. After this visit I am happy to report I still love it. Don't expect anything fancy--that is not what this place is about-- This is a very solid restaurant serving Greek food.

I would say the quality and value at this place is appropriate.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We have been going to this restaurant for years. The food is excellent and the prices very
reasonable. Their fish is very fresh and their roast chicken is superb. The Greek salad, grape
leaves and various dips like hummus are also recommended. They have a $33 four course
fixed price menu for two that cannot be beat. This is a very informal place that has takeout too.