“Not fine dining but good, solid Greek fare.”

South Street Souvlaki
Ranked #354 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I love this place. I used to live in the neighborhood where it is located, and would frequently walk to the place and order food for take out from them.

After having moved out of Philadelphia, I had the opportunity to return to this restaurant as an outsider. After this visit I am happy to report I still love it. Don't expect anything fancy--that is not what this place is about-- This is a very solid restaurant serving Greek food.

I would say the quality and value at this place is appropriate.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We have been going to this restaurant for years. The food is excellent and the prices very
reasonable. Their fish is very fresh and their roast chicken is superb. The Greek salad, grape
leaves and various dips like hummus are also recommended. They have a $33 four course
fixed price menu for two that cannot be beat. This is a very informal place that has takeout too.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I lived in Philly for 8 years and loved going to South Street Souvlaki for authentic Greek and Mediteranian food. When we visit family we always have dinner there. They have an easy take away section as well. The restaurant is charming and fun and the food is some of the best I've had in the states.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stumbled on this place when our favorite deli in the area was closed. We started with the hummus, which was great! We each had a sandwich-chicken kebab and a gyro. Big portions and everything tasted fresh. The staff and owner were very friendly. Next time we will order entrees as the menu and the dishes that went by our table looked great. The sandwiches were really reasonable-$6 each-and well worth it.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Everything here is homemade and excellent. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is welcoming. Their pork chops and roasted chicken melt in your mouth. Their Baba ghanoush is the best I've ever had, and that includes every other place I have reviewed. It's very different, it has feta cheese, olives and tomatos in it. My new favorite dish here is their grilled shrimp Greek salad. I actually crave it- yes- a salad. Their spinach pie is wonderful. Their vegetarian platter is delicious. The prices are very reasonable and fair.