“Favorite Italian Food”

Ralph's Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Ralph's Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 4,519 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Cross street: Catherine
Description: Oldest Italian restaurant in the U.S. established in 1900. Still run by the fourth and fifth generations of the original family.
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Everything we have eaten here has been delicious......we have celebrated birthdays and we actually got engaged here. We come back again and again.
Last few times, we sat upstairs and I wasn't as crazy about the atmosphere as the bustling front room but food just as good.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I ate there with some friends while we were visiting Philly. It is a neat restaurant with an historic marker outside stating it's the oldest Italian restaurant in America.. It has an old-time, godfather-like feel to it. You'd think you were eating in the restaurant where Michael Corleone shot the cop.

My wife and I just got back from Italy two weeks before going here. Is it authentic? Probably not, but Italian-American cuisine is it's own, and the menu had plenty of options from which to choose.

I ordered the chicken parmesean and it came with a side of spaghetti. It was $18. It was a huge piece of chicken and it was delicious. One of the best chicken parmeseans I ever had. You can tell it isn't like the frozen stuff you get at Olive Garden. The side of spaghetti was good but nothing great. My wife got the tortellini with chicken and pesto, plus a salad. The salad was pretty standard and nothing exciting for $7. Her tortellini dish was good. The pesto sauce was olive oil and basil based; it had a great taste. Our meals came with Italian bread; it was fresh and delicious. I just wish they served a dipping oil or sauce with the bread.

Overall, it was a delicious meal, though a bit on the pricey side for what we got. You're probably paying for the aura of the place. I would eat there again.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Quaint place in the Italian section of Philadelphia. Not much on the outside or the inside from a visual standpoint. But WOW,,,,the menu is fantatic, the service top-notch and ohhhhh the food! Started with bruschetta, very fresh, full of ripe tomatoes and the toasts drizzled with balsamic were wonderful. I had the bowties in vodka sauce with chicken and it was wonderful. My friend had the lasagna and it was packed with meat and cheese....way to much to finish. Ended the meal with the cake that was delicious. Might have had a taste of sambucca. Great dining experience and service was spot on.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

We walked her from Independence Hall and were able to get a table for 4 without reservations. I would recommend calling though as it is a small place. Teddy Roosevelt ate here as did Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Derek Jeter, etc and you can see why. Even so, Ralph's has stayed to its humble roots as you don't see any autograph pictures on the wall, the original tile floor.

Their veal is really good. My son loves Veal Parm and ordered it and said it was the best he had ever had and I agree. I had a combination veal and eggplant parm and it was incredible as well. We had calamari appetizer and the mussels looked good, but since I had them for lunch we didn't get any.

Dessert was really good. They have a family recipe for Cannoli Cake the was really good and the Tiramisu was very good as was the Italian Kiss coffee.

Would highly recommend this for Red Sauce Italian!!!!

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Ralphs is in a neighborhood setting. When we arrived the restaurant seemed small. 48 seats on the main floor. It turns out the restaurant is on three levels and seats 175. The food and portions were huge and excellent tasting. i had the veal parmesian.