“Just like Grandma used to make...”

Ralph's Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Ralph's Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #92 of 4,405 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Cross street: Catherine
Description: Oldest Italian restaurant in the U.S. established in 1900. Still run by the fourth and fifth generations of the original family.
Wimberley, Texas
“Just like Grandma used to make...”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

If you had an Italian grandma! Always an adventure going to Ralph's. Parking can be a pain, but the food is well worth it. We have been going here for years, and have taken friends and family when they are in town. Situated in a row house in South Philly, the seating can be cramped, but for us, that's part of the experience. The wait staff is old school and while service can be a bit slow on a busy night, they know what they are doing and keep the food moving. I recommend reservations. The menu is basic Italian, but in a very homemade style. I personally love the veal with artichokes and get it every time I go. Based on other people we've taken, you can't go wrong with the veal. The cannoli cake is also a favorite. Always a fun and amusing night out as long as you chill and enjoy the ride.

Philadelphia
“Great Italian food”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had not visited Rallph's for a long time and returned with some friends. It still is one of the best. We had an Italian
frittatta, mediterranean salad, sausage and penne plus
eggpalnt parmagiana. Everything was fresh and cooked to
perfection. The bread is outstanding.

Visited December 2012
Vineland, New Jersey
“comfort food in a small neighborhood place”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We arrived for an early dinner and were surprised to see the number of patrons there. It was our first visit (we had a groupon), and I was anticipatory, since we had read excellent reviews. Cleanliness was ok unless you're particular. When I visited the restroom, I noticed that although overall it seemed clean enough, the tile floor, especially in corners, was dingy. It had been cleaned carelessly, not meticulously. Chairs were quite rocky, almost unsafe. If I weighed more than the 120 lbs that I do, I would be concerned about the chairs collapsing. Service was friendly but nonchalant. For instance, looking at the wine menu, it did not say that you could order a carafe or a half, only bottle or glass. I prefer red wine, hubby prefers white. We'd have gotten half a carafe of each, had we known it existed. But we didn't, and then saw other patrons with carafes. Bread was a disappointment. It was a semolina with seeds, same as what our local supermarket sells. (I'm not saying that it wasn't tasy, just that when I go out to a restaurant, I like to be served quality that I don't get in a supermarket). We ordered mussels--white-- for an appetizer. And, they were excellent. Maybe we filled up on it, because it truly was a large portion, even for the two of us, but the entres were a bit disappointing. I got the manicotti because it said that it was home-made. It was swimming in sauce and covered with melted cheese. First of all, that is a bit too rich for me, and second of all, I like to see what I am eating, in other words, I wanted to see if the manicotti were individual pasta rolled up with ricotta in the center or if it was simply a tube. . . which I never did figure out. It was more American than Italian. My husband got penne pasta with sausage and broccoli rabe and hot peppers. The dish, although pasty, was difficult to eat because the broccoli rabe was in long, stringy pieces that were difficult to cut through. The sausage was excellent and eaten up immediately. The pasta -- we took it home and I doctored it up for dinner tonight, adding sauteed mushrooms and chopped Roma tomatoes to it. It was most enjoyable.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“What a great place”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I ahve only been going to Ralph's for the past 60 years. As a child my parents brought me as an adult I brought my children and the only reason is the great food nice people great pricing.
A great value for good food.

“Authentic!”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Great food, friendly staff, good place for friends to gather, eat & hang out. The Italian food is off the hook & the bread is crazy good, straight from Sarcones bakery, I come from an Italian family & the atmosphere is like being at home. Skip the other Philly Italian restaurants, Ralph's have been business for over 100 years, that speaks for itself.

• Visited October 2012