“Morton's: the Standard in Steak”

Morton's - The Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Morton's - The Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #273 of 4,506 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My wife and I have been here twice. And it's been a perfect plate every single time.

Food: The steaks are cooked to exactly how you want it. But it's not just their steaks, it's everything else on the menu also! I had their 'watermelon' salad. I usually hate salad, but this one salad made me a fan.
Service: Exactly what you want. Not hanging around or in your face, but there right when you need them, and they have great recommendations.
Decor: Nice, classy little joint.
Ambience: Very relaxed, but fancy.

Overall, a bit pricey, but you get fantastic food and great service. This is the standard of a great steakhouse.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Boy! I sure don't recognize this Morton's from year ago when the bar service was actually friendly and warm.

We were greeted (or rather, weren't greeted) by a rather cold, distant, disinterested bartender who looked like he was high on weed or pain meds... maybe he was having a rough week but it was a very unwelcoming atmosphere.

The manager was quite pleasant and sweet, the hostess was quite charming... to be fair.

The food was so-so given the price tag. We have had better food for less. The steak was almost too lean, and dry; the veggies and fish tasted a bit bland... had better at Carrabbas.

Overall, given the underwhelming food quality and the cold shoulder, this visit deserved a generous 2 out of 5 stars.

1  Thank bastogne97
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife & I did not enjoy our food here. The location, atmosphere & staff are all great, but the food was just not to our liking. My wife had the salmon & I had the 5 peppercorn steak, we both shared off of each other's plates. The salmon was flavorless - it was cook perfectly, but just tasted like a plain salmon - certainly not worth the price at all. The peppercorn steak was good, but again, not worth the price whatsoever.

Philly has so many steak houses that are expensive, but worth EVERY penny... this is NOT one of them.

1  Thank Shroeder14
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband was in charge of find a restaurant for our Valentines stay in Philadelphia. The meal was pricey. Worth it for a special occasion. Food was excellent. The service was great! This was a nice treat.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We were a party of 6, visiting Morton's on a Friday evening for dinner, during Restaurant Week, in Philadelphia.

Valet parking available.

The venue is lovely, well designed, and comfortable. No line at coat check. Elevator available, which is a must for those who cannot take stairs, since there are several flights of steps which need to be navigated.

For a Friday evening, the bar and restaurant were busy, but not crowded.

We sat at the bar while waiting for the rest of our party to arrive. Seating in the bar was very comfortable. Drinks were served promptly, prepared properly, and satisfied those ordering. I, myself, cannot drink, and requested a diet soda. Since the only diet beverage in stock was cola, I ordered, instead, a regular ginger ale, which was over-carbonated. This was a minor detail, yet still disappointing for a bar it's size at a major restaurant.

Once our party arrived, we were seated immediately in a private, quiet room. Wait staff was very attentive. Service above average.

Five individuals ordered from the Restaurant Week Menu, one ordered from regular menu.

Selections chosen:

Morton's (signature) Salad (all, and also on r/w menu).

Four ordered the Petite Filet Mignon off the r/w menu.
One ordered Filet off regular menu.
One ordered the Chicken Bianco off the r/w menu.

Sides are served family style. We chose green beans, mashed potatoes (r/w menu).

Extras ordered: One order of Bacon Mac-n-Cheese, One order of Potatoes Au Gratin, Wine for the table (1 bottle), coffee/tea, 2 people ordered desserts which were not on the r/w menu: one crème brulee, one chocolate soufflé.

Wine: Very good.
Morton's Salad: Very good. (r/w menu)
Fillet Mignon: Good, properly prepared. Not many comments. (r/w menu)
Potatoes au Gratin: Very good.
Bacon Mac-n-Cheese: Very good.
Chicken Bianco: Very good. (r/w menu)
Green Beans: Nothing spectacular. (r/w menu)
Mashed Potatoes: For garlic mashed potatoes, lacked the garlic and creaminess expected. (r/w menu. Next time, I think I would pass on this one.

Three chose Key Lime Pie (r/w menu). Good. Just good. I had a taste of my daughter's slice. Average size, a little less tart than expected. (Truthfully, my homemade is as good or better).

One ordered off regular menu a chocolate soufflé, which received excellent comments, with a nice presentation, generous (say 6" or 7") portion and large side of fresh whipped cream.

The crème brulee was very good, as well. No particular comments one way or the other.

The Chocolate Mousse (r/w menu) was nicely presented but, otherwise, pretty sad, sorry to say. Perhaps I was expecting fluffy mouse in a glass layered with whipped cream....... In actuality, there was more drizzling of raspberry sauce on the plate than actual mousse. The mousse was served in a very small fluted ready-made chocolate shell (like you find at any grocery store) the size of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup (maybe 2 3/4"), and topped with a raspberry or two. The mousse was unusually dense. This was disappointing. I would not order this (at least off the r/w menu), again.

Total bill with tax & gratuity: $600.

I would like to rate our overall experience as a 3.5 for the r/w menu portion of the experience, and a 4 for the regular menu portion, which is not possible on the tripadvisor scale provided. Therefore, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with a slightly generous, I believe, rating of 4 overall.