“good service, under average food”
Review of Imperial Inn

Imperial Inn
Ranked #442 of 4,403 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center East
Palo Alto, California
“good service, under average food”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Chinatown restaurant ...and the lines were long at most places, and the parking prices in the area high.

There was a sign that the restaurant was Zagat rated in 2006.
Short wait since the service is good and efficient at moving customers in and out.

The food was under average. My tofu dish with broccoli was swimming in sauce, and the broccoli did not appear to be a good quality. The soup was OK.
The two different kind of egg rolls were more rolls than contents, and one couldn't tell the difference between the vegetarian or the non-vegetarian.
The restaurant was full of neighborhood people who sampled much of the dim sum .

Will not return...

• Visited December 2012

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent. Authentic. Would recommend.”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I am known for having bad luck, but we struck gold when we wandered in during Chinese New Year Celebration. Loved it all including the food.

1 Thank Oldisbest
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Smells bad!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

As soon as I walked into his place I almost turned right around. This place had a smell of decaying meat. I read some good reviews so I decided to stick it out and look at the menu which consisted of the usual Chinese cuisine, nothing special. I opted for some Szechuan squid which was average at best. The service was good but I was a bit uneasy about the servers staring at my water glass awaiting an opportunity to refill it.
There are much better restaurants in Chinatown and I would not recommend this one to anyone.

• Visited September 2012
Pennsylvania
“Looking for dim sum”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Referred to the Imperial Inn from another Chinatown vendor and would have never went into this restaurant without his referal. From the outside it doesn't even say restaurant. I think most of the people who eat there are the locals. The decor was lacking but the food and service was good. I love dim sum and it was fun trying the different dim sums. I will go back again next time I am in Philly.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank AprylK
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dim Sum Feast”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The variety of dim sum was excellent, especially later in the morning. There was no way we could sample everything so we will definitely be returning.
The only items I didn't like were the tripe and the beef tendon, they were far too tough and chewy, but with so many other choices that didn't matter.
Our bill was only $30 for two people and we ate a lot! Service was also very attentive.

Visited June 2012