“Looking for dim sum”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Referred to the Imperial Inn from another Chinatown vendor and would have never went into this restaurant without his referal. From the outside it doesn't even say restaurant. I think most of the people who eat there are the locals. The decor was lacking but the food and service was good. I love dim sum and it was fun trying the different dim sums. I will go back again next time I am in Philly.

1  Thank AprylK

Reviewed July 5, 2012

The variety of dim sum was excellent, especially later in the morning. There was no way we could sample everything so we will definitely be returning.
The only items I didn't like were the tripe and the beef tendon, they were far too tough and chewy, but with so many other choices that didn't matter.
Our bill was only $30 for two people and we ate a lot! Service was also very attentive.

1  Thank trefoyl
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Lets start off by being honest. Sometimes a restaurant may look like it is badly in need of a complete refurbishment and this sadly is one such restaurant. On the other hand, the food is excellent and the service was great too. I would recommend the restaurant for its authentic great tasting food but you have to get past that feeling that the decor is beyond its sell by date!

1  Thank Cobtree
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Yes, Imperial Inn is not the same as the days of the past but the food is still great. The decor is outdated and could use a touch up. The food is familiar and fabulous. However, I did notice a couple of things that the quality had declined on such as the egg rolls. Everyone loves dim sum. Try the appetizer platter with ribs, teriyaki beek and spring rolls. It has something for everyone. The service is mediocre.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

This place was recommended to me and it did not disappoint. I was in town for a week and went 3 times. The first time I arrived too late for the Dim Sum but enjoyed my dinner. The won ton soup was yummy and very filling. The dinner tasted fresh and not overly drenched with sauces. Where this place really shines is the Dim Sum. Making it a point to get there for lunch, I was quite surprised with the selection of dumplings to choose from. Having never tried it before, one of the ladies delivering the selections made sure I tried the best on her cart and I was not disappointed. The pineapple dumpling they have is not to be missed and even tastes great the next day as breakfast. When I went back, I just asked for a plate of the pineapple ones since they are so addictive. It's amazing how much you can get for your money. The decor is a little dated in the place but considering the wide variety of people I saw in there, it appears to have been around for quite a while. The staff is nice enough and not intrusive.

1  Thank Liz L