“Fantastic Prime Rib and Unique Ambiance”
Review of The Prime Rib

The Prime Rib
Reserve with OpenTable
The Prime Rib is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: 17th and Locust
Description: Gargantuan cuts of prime beef, extra thick chops, and simply prepared fresh seafood are the straightforward offerings of this steakhouse that evokes the supper clubs of Manhattan in the 1940's. Leopard print carpeting, black lacquered walls trimmed in brass and tuxedoed waiters complete the elegant atmosphere, featuring live piano and bass nightly. Dress code is business casual.
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

We entered The Prime Rib and I was immediately taken by the almost 80's throwback decor and old school clientele. Black lacquer and gold trim were everywhere, with someone playing the piano behind a mammoth flower arrangement. Almost surreal, but highly entertaining. The menu is printed in large font, which is a reflection of the clientele. I ordered a shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad and the prime rib. The shrimp was easily some of the best I have ever had. Large, crisp, and a cocktail sauce nicely seasoned with the ability to add more horseradish was memorable. The ceasar salad was nice and dressing was somewhat tangy. The lettuce could have been crisper. The prime rib was perfection. Medium rare. Juicy. Cut like butter. I was full but kept on going. And going. The manager, Garth, was very nice and courteous. He made us feel welcome. Overall, this is not your trendy, hipster joint. It's an old school restaurant that is confident in what it does and comfortable with its image.

Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed a delicious meal and great service. The Dover Sole special was outstanding. Also had a steak which was delicious and the creamed spinach, too. Mud pie for dessert was sinful and the coffee was really good. I thought the wine list was nice and varied with good choices. Not really steakhouse people but definitely glad we went.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Sometimes you're impressed by the food, and sometimes the service. Here it was the service more than anything that resulted in an excellent rating. I was feeling a little under the weather the night I went to The Prime Rib, so if the food didn't knock me out, it was my fault, not the restaurant's fault. But even though I ordered only a shrimp cocktail and salad with soup, I was treated as if I had ordered a full meal with dessert. The staff were attentive without hovering. The shrimp were big and tasty, the soup wonderful, and the house salad was exquisite. I truly enjoyed my meal at the Prime Rib and will likely go back when I am in Philly.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

From the moment you walk in, you will hear the piano playing and the vibrant restaurant sounds of the romantic and dimly lit steakhouse. The restaurant was full and was more formal than expected. The crowd was a bit older and thus the menu was in very large type to cater to the older eyes. The service was good, but not great. The food was awesome and the steaks quite large. The top hitters with our group were the potato skins, escargot, Sea Bass & Bone-In Rib-Eye.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Dinner was excellent, accompanied by live music (singer, pianist, bassist). The wine selection was also quite good. This is an lovely place to have a wonderful meal.