“Almost over the Top !”
Review of The Prime Rib

The Prime Rib
Reserve with OpenTable
The Prime Rib is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 4,406 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: 17th and Locust
Description: Gargantuan cuts of prime beef, extra thick chops, and simply prepared fresh seafood are the straightforward offerings of this steakhouse that evokes the supper clubs of Manhattan in the 1940's. Leopard print carpeting, black lacquered walls trimmed in brass and tuxedoed waiters complete the elegant atmosphere, featuring live piano and bass nightly. Dress code is business casual.
Wilmington, Delaware
“Almost over the Top !”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We dined early, had to make the Kimmel Center by 8:00 PM.
Service was over the Top, our waiter and his assistance never let the water glass get more than two sips low.

Food, Medium Rare smaller cut of Prime Rib was almost too much to eat and extremely tasty. Prices are steep but very typical of a Big City Fine dinning situations.

Escargot is a must, salads were large and and well prepared.
I had not been there in the last six or seven years, and since we were staying in the Hotel it was a very good choice.

Visited January 2013

• Korean first
Sweetwater, New Jersey, United States
“Great food, wonderful service”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My Girlfriend and I went to the Prime Rib for my birthday in November and had the fixed menu. The food was amazing and the price was quite reasonable. Our waiter helped us with all of our selections with great recommendations for wine. When I asked for the bill he gave my your typical book but inside was 2 tickets to a redskins game from my girlfriend as he gave her the already paid bill and he joked, "she's pretty slick, huh?"

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank John S
Philadelphia, PA
“Was not at all impressed”
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I dined here today (1/20/13) for the very first time. It was the start of restaurant week and we both ordered the prime rib. It was disappointing to say the least. My portion size was small, compared to his, with lots of fatty pieces throughout. I had high expectations for this meal but can honestly say that I've had better prime rib on a cruise ship.

When you order from the restaurant week menu you are automatically given mashed potatoes and creamed spinach as the side vegetables. No substitutions are allowed. The potatoes were creamy but bland and lacked any type of flavor. The spinach was decent; however it is worth mentioning that the chocolate mousse pie and key lime pie for dessert were both outstanding.

The restaurant week menu that is offered (3-course meal for $35/person) makes dining at upscale establishments affordable and is great for trying a new place that would otherwise be extremely expensive. If we had ordered the same exact meal ala carte, it would have cost well over $150 before taxes and gratuity.

The only memorable aspect of the meal was the attentive service by the wait staff and the fact that on Sunday it is BYOB. Based on today's experience, I don't think I will ever return. There are just too many other places in the city to dine out that provide excellent food at more tolerable prices.

Hays, Kansas
“Classy place, OK food”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The restaurant is beautiful -- an excellent choice for romantic dinner, business meeting or special occasions. The service was excellent and there was live music (solo Jazz piano) when we were there. We ordered prime rib and tuna. The tuna was great but the prime rib was just OK. We believe the overall quality of food on the menu should be good.

• Visited November 2012
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Great Shrimp Coctail!”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I went to the Prime Rib for great prime rib. Unfortunately, it was just average, and not up to its name. I have eaten better at local steak house such as Steak 38 (Cherry Hill) and even The Pub (Pennsauken) as well as Ruth Kris', The Capital Grille and William Douglas.

On the other hand, the $18 shrimp cocktail was superb. Probably, the best I have had in some time.

If you go, don't miss the dark chocolate ice cream sundae. It is unbelievable.

The rest of my review is at:

• Visited December 2012