“Kind of a dive”

Neighborhood: City Center West
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania, United States
“Kind of a dive”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We went here for drinks before eating downstairs at the Oyster House. That bar was so crowded we couldn't get near it but upstairs was pretty empty. We had the Happy Hour drinks for $4.00 and there wasn't much liquor in them so we switched to house white wine which was horrible. We had fried mac and cheese balls which were tasty. Would only go here again if we were desperate.

• Visited August 2013

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Good beer choices but not my favorite environment”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Disclosure: I've been to 5 local breweries in the last 2 days so I'm starting to get picky about my ambiance.

As far as the beer goes, this place is great and the prices are also good. Friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere.

This may have been my personal experience, but next to us we had two large groups of young (read: barely 21) kids who were being really loud and obnoxious. If that's indicative of the usual clientele, I probably wouldn't come back.

• Visited July 2013
Augusta, Maine
“Great beer choices and service”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Nodding Head was a lot smaller and harder to find than we had expected--and it's up on the second floor--but we were very glad we stopped in. They had some very unusual beers they had brewed on draft--interesting choices. The service was friendly and did a great job. The setting itself is a little on the grubby side (I kept noticing the dirty windows..) but has old-style pub charm. I loved their amazing collection of bobbleheads in a glass case, including one from Brat Fest in my native town of Madison, WI. Our white bean appetizer was imaginative and delicious with pita bread. We are happy to nod our head in approval of the Nodding Head.

Visited June 2013
Collingswood, New Jersey
“Great for vegetarians”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have been here many times, and usually stick to their veggie burger, or just get an order of their hummus and some fries (which are so good with their dipping sauce!) But I went here the other day and was craving something different and so tried their Vegetarian Stew, which is actually vegan. Eating this is what prompted me to finally write a review because this stew is SO ridiculously good and really impressed me. I've been a vegetarian for a little over 4 years and the taste of this stew took me back to the days of eating pot roast in my mom's kitchen. The seitan is cooked perfectly, and there is such a great blend of spices that make it one of the most flavorful stews I've ever had. I'll be going back just for this so I hope they don't take it off the menu. I didn't give perfect marks for this place though because the service is kind of slow, and the booth we sat in actually hurt my back. Like another reviewer said, it could certainly use some updating inside. Still, the food is always consistently good-to-great.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Melissa T
Bordentown, New Jersey
“Great Beer, Good Food - Just Needs to be Updated”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We visited Nodding Head for the first time this weekend. We heard good things about the place and wanted to give it a try. When we got there, it was not crowded at all. Tried 4 of the beers that they had on tap and enjoyed them all, especially the 60 Schilling. The meatloaf sandwich and basic burger were good, and the white bean soup was quite tasty. Service was good as well. The only real complaint we have has to do with the atmosphere - specifically the area surronding the bar where we ate. It appears a little rundown and could really use an update. The high top tables need to be refinished or replaced and the chairs weren't that much better. Plus the walls and trim could use some new paint. Just a few small things could make the experience here even better. We'll be back for the beer for sure.

• Visited April 2013