“Terrific coffee and great dumplings!!!”

Ray's Cafe & Tea House
Ranked #19 of 171 Coffee & Tea in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Just that! Most Value Coffee (Malaysian) in Philadelphia and very, very, very tasty dumplings!!! Curried Chicken Dumplings the best!!!!!

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We saw the other great reviews and thought we would give them a try. We were not impressed. The food was just ok. My husband tried the siphon coffee and enjoyed it. I had the jasmine tea. It was $4.50 for a tea bag. Really??

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My family has been going to Ray's for years. We have always enjoyed it and look forward to returning. It is small and informal, however the owners are very friendly and gracious. It is a BYOB and there are no State Liquor stores or Beer distributers nearby so if you want alcohol with your meal plan ahead. The food is, I think, Taiwanese. Nothing hot here though they put a dish of a very hot sauce on the table. I hate to say it but we almost always get the same food -- our appetizers are almost always shrimp spring rolls (crispy, light and delicate), and the dumpling sampler (make sure you get the curried chicken dumpling -- awesome), For the main course my wife almost always gets the Walnut delight -- a substantial vegetarian dish made with crushed walnuts and I get the sweet and sour chicken. The bok choy is also great. Unique however is the coffee service -- they use a syphon technique which makes amazing coffee. I always get the sumiyaki coffee -- a japanese coffee roasted over charcoal -- complex flavor. The coffee comes with an excellent butter cookie. A very European truffle torte is also available -- well worth it.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Ray's Cafe and Tea House is a superb spot in Philadelphia's Chinatown. The soups, dumplings and entrees are fresh, plentiful and delicious. Be sure to check out the daily specials as they offer seasonal specials. The coffee and tea offerings, served in lovely cups, are wonderful and are accompanied with excellent tea cookies. The service is friendly, professional and knowledgeable. The owner is welcoming and committed to superb customer service.

1  Thank anne s
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Ray's Cafe has been there since the 90s, and after eating there, or drinking their syphon filtered coffee, you can see why. I had a pleasant lunch there after a 10 year hiatus - they still have the best pan-fried dumplings in town, with many varieties! Shrimp, chicken curry, pork and leek, pork and cabbage, vegetable - all of these were in my dumpling sampler today, served with hot chili oil and scallion-soy dipping sauce on the side. To clear my palate, I had the cucumber "salad", really Taiwanese pickles done in a pleasantly lip puckering vinegar. A big lunch rush came in right after I left - no surprise, based on my memories of their fried rice, spicy chicken, "leek box" dumplings, and more. But they still gave me their traditional butter cookie with my check. Best for dining groups of 1 4o 4 people - the cafe isn't very large.