“Fantastic Seafood!!!”

Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I loved this restaurant!! I make a point of finding new places (this one isn't so new...I'm just getting around to eating here) and I am soooo glad to have found Little Fish. First of all, the service was fantastic!! Ask for Olga...she may be the only Asian girl with a Nordic name...but she is off the charts great!!! I made my reservation via OpenTable and Olga called to confirm and I formed my first impression of Little Fish...personal, friendly, and interested in my business.

The menu changes each week (maybe daily based on what they get that is in season) and is hand written on the blackboard. We started with two varieties of oysters--both exceptional, fresh and very sweet and salty. My starter was Kampachi (yellow tail) which was just fantastic--light, flavorful, and very lively. My main course was Tilefish with mussels in a wonderful, savory and delish red broth with tofu and all sorts of other wonderful ingredients.

The best part is after all this food, I didn't feel full!!! Oh, the coffee was an excellent finish before we left to watch the Eagles stink up the Linc! At least I had a great meal!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

This restaurant is amazing, I do not think it’s possible to order anything that isn't incredibly delicious. Everything is fresh and it is obvious that each dish is prepared with much care and thought. The atmosphere is cozy and the service is great. My only disappointment – this restaurant is small and needs work in terms of ventilation. I understand the kitchen shares a room with the diners and that some fish is notorious for smelling strong – this restaurant is disgracefully lacking in addressing these issues. After dinner I was quite displeased to discover that I reeked of fish. I found it embarrassing to go out afterwards and have my clothing and hair emit a fishy stench for all to smell within ten feet of me. It really is a shame – Little Fish may serve some of the best fish in Philly (if not THE best) – but the urge to shower and have your clothes dry-cleaned immediately following dinner undeniably shade the experience.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Though I have come to use tripadvisor as my primary source for credible restaurant reviews, I must come clean--I visited Little Fish after discovering that Zagats had rated it the best fish restaurant in Philadelphia. To truly enjoy Little Fish, one must be a true lover of great food-- someone who considers food paramount to ambience. The restaurant is truly "little," one may even describe it as tight, but the food more than compensates for this. Furthermore, the selections of entrees are limited--hardly a problem when all the entress are truly superb. Don't go to Little Fish for the atmosphere, don't go there if you live for broiled haddock with lemon, please don't go if you don't love seafood--GO THERE ONLY IF YOU WANT THE BEST FISH IN THE CITY.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I found Little Fish while driving around Bella Vista in Philadelphia and since I am always looking to find new and local restaurants to try, I decided to give this one a go.

For starters, I was quickly reminded about how bad parking is around this section of town…almost impossible, so take a cab if you can.

We were immediately greeted in and welcomed by the host/waiter to this very neat small place where the chef is basically cooking right next to you. With our reservations, we were immediately seated and promptly welcomed by our waitress with a small, hand written menu of the days fare. Make no mistake; this is a fish place so meat lover need not apply.

After getting a few suggestions for an appetizer, we settled on the Ceviche and Grilled Octopus, which were both outstanding. The Ceviche was traditional style and the Grilled Octopus was dressed in an almost curry like sauce, whish was fantastic and unexpected.

For our main course, we asked for the waitress’s suggestion and were told to order the White Salmon or Cobia. Unable to decide, we ordered both. The Cobia came out with a nice assortment of rice and other accompaniments and was simply fantastic with an assortment of flavors and hint of hot at the end. The White Salmon was advertised as something very special and would appeal to even those who are not salmon lovers. It arrived with some asparagus and small cut potatoes and looked like a pale pink salmon. It was a bit milder than normal salmon, but nothing special. Nowhere near as good as the Cobia. Whether the waitress did a poor job of describing the fish or I simply misunderstood, I can honestly tell you I was not impressed and wish I did not order it. In both cases, the pricing did not reflect the quality or quantity of food you received. I don’t mind paying a little extra for something special, but $38.00 for an 8 oz piece of Salmon, white, pink or blue, is simply not worth it. While the Cobia was very good and I would definitely order it again if I were to every go back, it to was not worth $32.00 for what looked like less than 6 oz. Luckily, this was a BYOB or we would have paid in excess of $100.00 per person for a meal I left hungry afterwards.

While the service was excellent and the place charming, I guess you have to have a real appreciation for Fish to accept smaller than normal entrées starting at $30.00 ala cart. I can see me going back for some appetizers possibly, which were also small and pricey at $12.00 +, maybe to enjoy a new bottle of wine I bought and sit on a great neighborhood corner in BV. So if you go , bring a bottle or two and be prepared to spend a lot for a little, but hopefully this Niche Fish place will win you over with its uniqueness and service.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

This small, but tasty dinner was the restaurant choice of my friend. We were looking for a wonderful place to enjoy some fish while I was in town and she had been meaning to go here for a while. The reservations were none too easy to come by, but it was well worth the effort.

The restaurant is small, like 10 tables small. The menu changes frequently and is hand written on a large chalkboard on the wall and a small menu on the table. It is a BYOB that does not accept AMEX. The kitchen is open so you can watch the chef making your meals and plating the food. I just love that!

My girlfriend and I have known each other since childhood so we shared every single item. For appetizers we had scallop and foie gras, outstanding! The flavours worked so well together and each bite melted in my mouth. We also had octopus with chickpeas, marcona almonds & a piquillo picholine. For our entrees we ordered the striped bass with fava beans, artichokes, fingerling potatoes and ramps. I just love me some ramps! The fish was perfectly cooked and everything on the plate complimented one another. The other fish was the halibut. Again the fish was superbly. This was served with shitake mushrooms, sunchokes which were divine together, asparagus and uni. Mmmmmmmmm, I love uni. This was another winner! Never one to miss out on dessert we ordered the chocolate pot de creme topped with an orange maralade. I'm pretty sure that you aren't suppose to use your fingers to get every last bit of love out of the way too small container, but we did.

The service was great, the food was outstanding and the space was cozy. The bill wasn't outrageous, but the food certainly was. I recommend this place with 2 enthusiastic thumbs up.