“A Longstanding, Yummy Establishment”
Review of Dante & Luigi's

Dante & Luigi's
Ranked #146 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This Italian Restaurant was located right around the corner from my Bed and Breakfast so after an exhausting day of walking, my boyfriend and I were happy to turn the corner and have dinner here. I had a delicious escarole soup and penne with red sauce and meatballs. The escarole soup was wonderful and the pasta was very good. I was also impressed by the blend of veal, pork, and beef in the meatballs and thought that they were the best meatballs I had ever had at a restaurant. My boyfriend had gnocchi with a red cream sauce and it was also good. The service was outstanding. The restaurant was packed on a rainy Wednesday night in early March, so that speaks volumes for the place. Overall, I think it is a solid place to stop.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We have been dining at this restaurant since the 1970's when the original family owed it. Grandma her lovely daughter and handsome grandson along with Donnie the best waiter in Phila. he was voted the best be Phila. magazine!! Well the food here is amazing I am full Italian and when I dine here it tastes just like my Mother cooked the dish for me. Brings back many warm & happy memories of days gone by--still enjoy going there even if the glasses of wine are no longer $1.50 (ha-ha) The wait staff are willing to please the customers & it is a great place to bring your children & grandchildren, mine love going there for our family dinners :) In this day & age it is hard to get everyone together at the same time try to take the chance to take your family here for this old world experience to enjoy Ciao!!!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I was in town solo for the weekend revisiting my youth and chose this place after checking online reviews. I'm third generation Italian and was raised on great, authentic country Italian cooking so I'm always eager to try a local place when traveling. The restaurant interior is warm and inviting, with two dining areas, both with a homey feel. My reservation was handled efficiently when I called. My bill for the caprese salad, rigatoni with veal braciole and a glass of red wine was $41, including a $2 discount for paying in cash. Not a bargain but average for comparable restaurants in the area. I left feeling quite satisfied overall, and could not finish the good-sized pasta/braciole portion. Everyone else in the place seemed to enjoy their food, and the other dishes I saw other guests being served all looked generously portioned and very appetizing. The recipes aren't sophisticated, but good, simple Italian food prepared well is always a treat in my book.

The menu is comprehensive and has all of the traditional Italian-American favorites including antipasti, pastas, chicken, veal, fish, and one kind of steak (filet) served two different ways. There's a decent wine menu and a few basics by the glass. I am a sucker for a simple caprese salad, and even though the chances of getting ripe tomatoes in the dead of winter was slim, I ordered it. The presentation was neat and appetizing, with thick slices of tomato layered with slices of whole milk buffalo mozzerella, drizzled with olive oil, and garnished with basil and some pools of balsamic dressing. Sadly, the tomato slices were, as I should have known, under-ripe and flavorless. (If I were a chef and could not get quality ingredients for a dish, I would not serve it that day.)

The pasta and braciole was a good-sized portion with one braciole in the center. They used dried pasta instead of fresh but that's fine with me. The pasta was cooked perfectly. The braciole was rich and moist. The sauce had a delicious scratch-made flavor and was rich with tomato and little bits of beef. I wish I had left room for dessert.

I was disappointed in the bread. It looked and tasted like store-bought and lacked the fresh-baked, dense dough texture with a crisp crust that I prefer.

My server was courteous although I waited uncomfortably long for entree and for my check. I was in no hurry, so it was a minor issue.

The valet parking ($10) was a bit chaotic on the narrow one-way streets at the corner location, but the attendants were courteous.

I would return to Dante & Luigi's without hesitation. Ciao!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

If your looking authentic Italian food with old world atmosphere this is the place. One of the older Italian restaurant's in Philadelphia.Great ricotta pie. Parking is a difficult but they do have valet service. Service is always great.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Dante & Luigi's is the first restaurant I ever went to when I first moved to the City of Brotherly Love. Since then I've returned to D&L's more than I've had second helpings at any other Philly restaurant. My most recent experience was better than any I've ever had. Broccoli raab with sweet sausage, chicken pomodoro and a side of ziti, la bomba paired with a sweet dessert wine - the name escapes me.The staff is lovely, especially Carla. And the atmosphere is equally inviting. D&L's is a genuinely wonderful Philadelphia original. I'll go back again and again and again.

PS - gnocchi fans, it's the best.