“Old School Red Sauce”

Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Old School Red Sauce”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This place is great. Always a line to get a table. So cozy up to the bar, have a whiskey sour and take it all in. Authentic Italian American restaurant. The fried asparagus is off the hook tasty! I have been here twice. A must stop in Philadelphia.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank CCR1975

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
“Old World Philly”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Don't expect "fine dining" with white table clothes and linen napkins. What you get here is great Italian food with the menu printed on a small piece of paper as well as posted on a blackboard. There's not much in the way of a wine selection but what they offer is good and very reasonably priced. The best thing on the menu in my opinion is their Chicken Sicilian, to the point that I gave up having it anywhere else. The menu is fairly large so I doubt you'll have a problem finding something if the chicken dish doesn't do it for you. There's a small dessert selection but again very good. To get a really great taste of Philly, you have to come here to the Italian Market off of Washington Ave on 9th Street. Cash Only.

2 Thank Jimrad
Haddonfield, New Jersey
“Real Italian Food!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

If you want delicious authentic Italian food this is the restaurant for you. The chicken bella bucca is a dish you won't find anywhere else. It is chicken breast with provolone cheese and ham in the middle topped by a butter sauce. DELICIOUS! The portions are huge so we usually end up taking food home. The Villa salad has a unique "russian-type" dressing with small shrimp and hard boiled eggs. Ziti Francis (ziti with chunks of chicken and veal) with sauce and cheese is the perfect blend of pasta and sauce. For an appetizer, we prefer the mussels red. We usually go through the bread basket sopping up the delicious sauce after we eat the mussels. We are usually too full for dessert but we have ordered an occasional cannoli which was very good. The ambiance is very basic. If you are looking for fancy, this isn't the place for you. Service is excellent. I read other reviews complaining about the service. We have been going here forever and never had an issue. The restaurant gets very busy (because it is so good) so sometimes you have to wait for your meal but that is to be expected when each meal is prepared so deliciously. We go here whenever we can and are never disappointed. The restaurant is cash only.

1 Thank Karen A
Washington, DC
“Yech!”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The Concierge at the Ritz made us a reservation here - o.m.g. Zero ambience (same seedy decor from decades ago), tacky & they were moving people in & out like a cattle drive. I asked our waitress if the eggplant was fresh & she gave me a dirty look & said EVERYTHING was fresh. I thought she might smack me for asking, lol. We had the asparagus appetizer - nothing to write home about. I had the eggplant (it wasn't frozen) which didn't have much flavor at all. The sauce had little seasoning. Unremarkable. My daughter had peppers & sausage - she said the same thing. My granddaughter had the seafood pasta & she liked it. The pasta that accompanied our entrees must have been sitting in a pot of water all evening - it was mush. My grandparents were Italian & lived in south Philly & they never served food like this. We had a couple of glasses of Sauvignon Blanc. It was drinkable. We got out of there fast. Awful meal that was pretty pricey for such poor quality.

3 Thank savvygirl
Havertown, Pennsylvania
“Delicious!”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

You can not miss at this spot. Stopped for dinner before a concert and enjoyed yet another wonderful meal! Staff were friendly and efficient. We had no wait, but if there is.a wait it is well worth it! Our favorite is the Chicken Neopolitan - have tried to recreate this at home but it is never as good as the real thing.

• Visited April 2014