“Impeccable duck.”

Ranked #178 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: City Center East
Description: Sang Kee Peking Duck House has been serving traditional Chinese food in Philadelphia since 1980. We were the first to bring peking duck to Philadelphia and continue to cook the noodle soups, stir fry dishes, seafood, and vegetarian dishes that have made us a local favorite!
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a no frills food stall in the Reading Terminal Market. There are plastic bowls, plastic utensils, and servers who can't explain the menu very well. Despite this, I would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys peking duck. The duck is amazing. The skin is as crispy as you could ask for with the most incredibly moist meat. I had this as well as a noodle soup, which has very deep flavourful broth.

1  Thank Discocanuck

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We ate here as part of a group tour of the Philadelphia area. The 40 of us were shuffled up-stairs to what I felt was a 'second-class' dining room, especially since you had to go through a small kitchen to get to the rest rooms!

But then the food came out. . . and came out. . . and kept coming out! From soup to appetizers to entrees to desert - it was hard to keep track of the dishes - there were so many (all ordered in advance by our group leader). The more we ate and relaxed, I felt that I 'pre-judged' the restaurant. The Peking Duck was wonderful, as was the shrimp and walnuts and the ribs were great. All portions were large, and for our group, served 'family style'.

The best way to end this review is to say that I'd return here again!

1  Thank FineTimer
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Our family chose to eat here due to a quick search of the best restaurants in Philadelphia's Chinatown. This one popped to the top of the list. The food was plentiful and tasty. We got the meal for two (even though 3 of us were eating) and added an extra entree' of Walnut Glazed Shrimp (this was our favorite of the evening). Everything tasted great, although my son thought the duck was a little too crispy - but I believe it is meant to be that way. Service was so-so, as we weren't too familiar with some of the dishes presented, but our waiter didn't take the time to explain things very well. Our waiter seemed to have every table in the upstairs seating area by himself, so he was kept running. We did enjoy our meal and felt it was worth the price paid.

1  Thank HuskerCob
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We visited once on vacation in 2009 and when we returned to Philadelphia in 2013, we knew we had to eat here again. Both times were amazing. The Peking duck is a must for everyone, and for a mere $3, the duck and green bean second course is outstanding. The soup is fantastic and shareable. Everything is good, but when we one dish wasn't to our liking, they took it off the bill. They take reservations and are within walking distance of the Historic District in Philadelphia.

4  Thank The_Adamses
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I have been eating at Sang Kee for the past 30 years. I have always especially enjoyed the Crispy Shrimp Roll and the Peking Duck. The shrimp roll always was fully stuffed with large pieces of shrimp. Well, yesterday much to my surprise the shrimp roll order (4 rolls) had only a couple of pieces of shrimp and a filler of shredded shrimp and who knows what else. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! They were also very greasy, which is not the norm. On a positive note, the Peking Duck was as good as ever. I hope that this was a one time experience! BRING BACK YOUR ORIGINAL SHRIMP ROLL!!!

1  Thank sk8ter01