“Pizza to die for!”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Were in the area and stopped in here blind with a small group of friends. The clue that it was exceptional was that a random passerby saw us looking at the menu in the window and said it was amazing pizza and they were right. We started with the flat bread polenta appetizer. I had an 8 inch Juliana pizza with several types of sausage and pepperoni added. I ate everything as did all of my three friends. We hear that some consider this the best pizza in Philadelphia, and I can see why!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

A fun, busy spot for some outstanding pizza. Weekends are crazy here so be prepared to wait, but it is very much worth your time. As a native Philadelphian I am picky about pizza, but this place is worth the trip!

1  Thank 723Kingscroft
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Mama Palmas is our favorite pizza place in Philadelphia. It has a quiet, cozy atmosphere with unique pizza offerings. The salads are large enough to share with the whole table. The restaurant is cash only but there is an ATM inside. Every time we've been the restaurant has been filled with families and folks from the neighborhood. Parking is street side only so you might have to walk a few blocks.

Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

The absolute best pizza in Philadelphia. Prices are reasonable and the rest of the food is extremely fresh too. Parking can be difficult, but that never stops me from going back. I usually eat close to a whole large pizza myself when there. My brother does the same for himself.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Mama Palma's, a BYOB on the southeast corner of 23rd and Spruce Streets, is a little neighborhood gem. We were walking past one day and the owner ran out and gave us a menu, which we later read at home and then decided to give the restaurant a try on a Wednesday evening.

Unlike many restaurants in the Rittenhouse Square area, Mama Palma's is truly what I'd call "down home" and unpretentious. The owner, Brunella Russo-McCall, and her team of servers (I am guessing they're family, because there was a lot of familial-type joking and love going on) do everything in their power to make you comfortable and get you served quickly. The place was pretty packed indoors and out --- there's sidewalk seating as well --- and yet the service was very friendly and very quick.

We ordered the bruschetta, which was a simple tomato-onion-basil affair, but the difference was that it was made on a version of pizza dough. It was very light and very fresh and one order was almost too much for the two of us.

My husband ordered the seafood special, which was a crab and fettuccine dish with a blush sauce. I am allergic to seafood and couldn't taste it, but he said the sauce was excellent. I had the chicken parmesan with penne pasta. The chicken was ever-so-slightly overcooked, but the mozzarella was fresh and the marinara sauce was as well. The portion was large enough that I had them pack up my leftovers for the next day's lunch.

People sitting on either side of us were having pizzas, and both were very large and loaded with fresh vegetables. The whole restaurant smelled wonderful.

The noise level is a little loud, even with the padded sections of the ceiling, but it wasn't totally overwhelming like it can be in some restaurants. I'd call it "lively" rather than earsplitting. As I said, the service was incredibly friendly, without being cloying.

It is obvious that the owners are trying their best to make diners happy and do things right. My husband and I were happy to find a sweet little place where we didn't have to dress up at all and where we were welcomed as if we were family. Prices are very reasonable for the area (it was about $40 for a large shared appetizer and two very large entrees; we brought our own wine). We'll definitely go back.

1  Thank LoveParkLady