“A gorgeous experience!”
Review of Fountain Restaurant - CLOSED

Fountain Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Benjamin Franklin Parkway & 18th
Description: Fountain Restaurant has earned national acclaim as Philadelphia's most renowned restaurants. Imaginative and impeccable cuisine is served in a warm atmosphere that features a view of the stunning Swann Memorial Fountain in the Parkway Museums District. Breakfast and lunch are served daily. Fountain Restaurant is widely considered one of the best restaurants in Philadelphia, having been rated the number one restaurant in Philadelphia by Zagat Survey, and receiving top honours from the Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia Magazine and Bon Appetit.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Everything was wonderful. The dining room was luxurious and extremely comfortable without being stuffy in any way...The service was excellent without any hint of obsequiousness. We had duck as one of our main courses and it was simply other-worldly and unforgettable. The trick to this place is that the menu appears to allow only 3 course meals, but they will actually allow you to order a la carte if you request it. Order one 3 course meal and then another a la carte main course. With a reasonable bottle of wine, it will still cost about $200 for the two of you, but once or twice a year it's well worth it!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

The food was prepared and presented perfectly. The wine flight accompanied each course wonderfully. Service was perfect.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Never mind the elegant surroundings. Go for the tasty food and service to write home about! I had crab cakes that almost fell apart because they were so full of big chunks of fresh crab meat!!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We had lunch on a very busy Friday -- lots of hotel guest walk ins and a private party in the back -- and found the food wonderful, the setting very nice, the vibe of the place positive but the service a bit slow. We were seated promptly, given the menu, and then ignored for ten minutes. When the waiter arrived to take our order, our request for wine caused him to search for the I-pad that held the wine list. These were in short supply, in part, I suspect, because the slow service meant another six or so minutes passed before our wine order was taken and I was relieved of the I-pad (which was too big to place comfortably on the table).

The waiter was knowledgeable but seemingly harried. Throughout our meal (which took two hours), I heard him apologizing to all the surrounding tables at one time or another. I suspect that the lunch crowd this day (the Friday before the Army-Navy Football game) was heavier than expected as service picked up mid meal as various managers arrived to pour the wine and even clear plates.

The menu is wide-ranging and across the board interesting. I could have picked dishes at random and would have liked them all. In addition to the standard three courses there are salads and sandwiches. One of my party had an outstanding-looking hamburger (and this is from someone who avoids hamburgers).

The wine list was broad and interesting and had appropriately priced wines. The wine by the glass selection was broad too. The only disappointment was dessert. The menu itself had a fascinating selection but two of the seven or so items were sold out. We were given a free dessert when our selection was not available and it was very good; I only wish I could have tasted what I wanted to taste rather than what was left.

We intend to give the Fountain another try for lunch because the food and ambiance are quite nice: formal but not stuffy. If the service rises to the setting, it could be one of the nicest lunches in the city.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We went for an afternoon tea celebration. Now, you would think that afternoon tea, at the Four Seasons, at $30 per person, might be an elegant affair. Not so. The service was terrible. No one came over to our group for the longest time, and then, after we ordered, the tea and food came out staggered at different times. Perhaps because there was only one server for our group of 11 people? The tea pots were overfilled and the servers didn't pour it so it ended up spilling all over the table. The food was OK, but nothing special. Hot water refill requests were ignored. Then, to top things off, we actually had to go and find a server to pay our bill. Not at all the type of service you would expect at a Four Seasons. We won't be back.

1  Thank rosannemistretta