“A Love/Hate Relationsip With London”
Review of London Grill

London Grill
Ranked #502 of 4,429 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 23rd and Fairmount Ave
Transit: Philadelphia Trolley Works (2200 Block of Fairmount) SEPTA ROUTE 48 Bus on corner
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I really have mixed reviews of this place, they do help with supporting community events but the food is good, closer to ok ... and very small. My last visit was for brunch ... the make your own bloody mary table was a little sloppy, brunch was not bad, service was little slow but this waitress (who helped me improve my original service rating) was very pleasant (wait for story). But this is not why I have closen a poor rating.

So now ... last time I was there...
I have been there several times in the past when about a year or so ago our table of me and my guests were chased .... thats right chased out the door by the hostess (she was very nice mind you) who had been sent by our waiter (thats right sent by our waiter, not he himself) when he decided we didnt leave a high enough tip. We showed her that he must have missed the $20 dollar bill hiding under the recepts that he obviously didnt see (about 18% tip).... But what gaul! Really!! A Tip is for good service and its not a given and even in that it was his fault he didnt see it. If it wasnt that we felt so bad for the hostess who was obviously embarresed to be sent to approach us, we would have taken the tip back.

I've really avoided this place since then with the exception of a few visits with friends who wanted to go. Im sure there are, I know there are many other better servers and better experiences here but for us one bad server spoiled the pot and its not improved much.

There are newer reviews for London Grill

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Having been to the Bishop's Collar quite a few times, as well as most of the other Fairmount joints, we decided to give London Grill a try. It looked decent when we walked in - a normal pub atmosphere. However, there were no spots at the bar, which we expected for 7 pm on a Friday evening. They then asked us if we'd like to go to "Paris." With nothing to lose we accepted.

We certainly made the right choice! The London Grill transform into Paris - a quaint, charming dining room with a piano and French colonial furniture in the "living room" area. The second bar is sultry, yet inviting. We ordered the brick chicken, which was tender & juicy, although the dumplings it came with left much to be desired. I would rethink the concept of these dumplings - they should be more dough focused. Another memorable item was the Gingerbread Bread Pudding. Oh, my, God. It was scrumptious. I thought I was full about 10 times while eating it but could not stop myself!

However! The biggest and best surprise happened to be an older couple that meandered in to the dining room mid-meal. They turned out to be the entertainment duo of the night - he played piano, she played harmonica. It was unique and unexpected - really complemented the space and the vibe.

ONE complaint. Service was not bad, but server was so utterly pretentious it was almost unbearable. This man was a fine waiter, but was seemingly mocking my friend's lack of knowledge of seasonal ales. It is imperative to be open in this line of work, especially when the customer is asking for information about a product you are TRYING TO SELL. His pretentiousness was unwavering through the meal to the point we were literally making fun of him every time he left the table. VERY unattractive quality & only negative part of this meal.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

we booked the London Grill for our Thanksgiving lunch based on the web's suggestions.
well, let's say that it is a nice place if you go there for a pint on a night out, i would not really consider it a restaurant although the staff did a really good job being attentive and never slow.

the buffet was good, there was a variety of choice for meat eaters and vegetarians, i reckon it was a little expensive for what it is on the whole.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I ate there for Thanksgiving Dinner. We came into Philly for a mini-vacation and needed to find a restaurant to eat Thanksgiving Dinner @ around 5:00 pm. This seemed like the only place we could find. I think the food was just OK. The service was really poor, but we had to pay 18% tip because it is included in the bill. It is a really small place. Between sometimes really long waits in the buffet line, it seemed that our family of 3 didn't spend much time together as one parent was in line and one parent was waiting at the table with our 5 year old.

This is the most expensive meal I've ever eaten $140 for 2 adults and a 5 year old kid. And to top it all off we ate on paper which was put on top of a linen tablecloth. So for $45/ adult plus tax and tip, they had us eat on white (what appeared to be) drawing paper. Of course we ate on china plates, I am just commenting about the paper table covering... which sort of made me feel like I was at a crab place where you eat on brown paper, but this was white paper.

So classy - NOT. I would not visit this place again. Overpriced, average food, very poor service. They did appear to have a fully stocked bar, but we don't drink, so maybe that is one redeeming quality that I can't speak to.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Went to London Grill on Saturday evening. It is too crowded and they pack in the crowds by having small uncomfortable chairs. The food was good not great and way too pricy for what it was. The noise level was overwhelming, particularly from the bar. They can't decide if they as sports bar or a fine dining restaurant. Won't be back!