“Enjoyable”

Devon Seafood Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Devon Seafood Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 4,446 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Chancellor & Walnut
Description: With an indulgent menu focused on superior quality seafood, Devon Seafood Grill crafts its dishes with exacting standards & pampers its guests in a comfortable atmosphere. Featuring a generous cellar selection, an oyster bar & creative cuisine, Devon delivers culinary excellence at a surprising value. Open for weekday lunch, dinner & Sunday Brunch.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Excellent service and food. My grouper was outstanding; my wife's salmon was delicious. Unfortunately, the prices are higher than I expected. Wonderful decor

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I love Devon for not only its expertly prepared fish, but also for how calm and relaxing and elegant the restaurant has been each time I visit. This is my go-to restaurant when I travel to Philly, whether I am with clients or alone. Great selection of fresh seafood, with a wine list to match.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We come into Philadelphia specifically to go to Devon-we've loved if for years. I have to say, however, that our most recent meal left something to be desired. The biscuits are still good, if a little smaller and denser than they used to be, and our service was fine.

We had a number of shared plates on the table, including shrimp cocktail, which for some reason was served in a bowl of half ice, half water (maybe it had been sitting on something warm?). We had to dry off each shrimp off so we wouldn't get a mouthful of water from the melted ice, and the water almost spilled on me when the waiter removed the bowl and it sloshed around. We were so surprised that it had been served to us that way.

The tuna was also surprising-usually, it slices like butter and we leave nothing on our plates. This time, over half of it was chewy and fatty (not in the good tuna way). The waiter did not ask why so much had been left behind, even when he asked to wrap the rest to go and we declined.

I hate to think that Devon is no longer as good as it's always been, but this restaurant needs to do better than they did for our most recent meal.

1  Thank CarynS
Reviewed August 29, 2012

It is located in a nice, busy Walnut Shopping District on the 18th. It's quite spacious and elegantly appointed with a comfortable and mid-upscale ambience.

My nice local friends knew I liked good seafood, so they took me over there for a treat.  We had a 6:30pm reservation for 5 on a Fri evening. The place was already getting crowded, when we got there, including the bar and the outside tables, but they seated us promptly at a large table in a very nice and intimate corner! The seafood dishes here were indeed tasty. I took one of my friends' recommendation and ordered the Cioppino (she did the same). It tasted heavenly, fresh and scrumptious! I actually asked for some bread to soak up every drop in the bowl!  I also took a sampling of my friends' Char Tuna (34) and Atlantic Salmon (27), which were excellent, too! The Bisque (9) and Salmon Flatbread (10) appetizers were quite good, as well.

At first, my friends were
worried about getting poor service on a busy Fri evening as they did before, but we were all pleasantly surprised and quite impressed that we actually got excellent service! They said the service this evening was the best they ever had at Devon!

When we left around 8pm, there was a long line by the door! The restaurant was filled to the gills, including the bar and outside seating area. Well, no surprise there.
- I guess my friends do know something about good seafood restaurants in Philly. Next time in Philly, I'll return the favor and take them there for dinner!

Peterskis, Aug 2012

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We visited Devon recently and were very happy with it. It's in a great location (Rittenhouse Square), not far from many hotels, including ours. We had the crab cakes and cioppino entrees, both excellent. The cioppino broth deserves a special mention--it was a tomatoey reduction with a lot of depth and flavor, unlike many of the (often good) broths one finds with this dish. It also came with some nice toast for dipping. Next time we go to Devon, we're both ordering the cioppino. The included house, honey-flavored biscuits were wonderful too. We thought the wine list was on the pricey side; the atmosphere is noisy, especially in the front rooms, but if you can get a table in the back, it's fine. This is a very busy place and the service was as helpful and attentive as possible given the crowd.

1  Thank butterfly58