“Nicer than I thought. ”
Review of Jack's Firehouse

Jack's Firehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Jack's Firehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #174 of 4,428 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 22nd Street
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Took a small group of business friends for lunch. Very nice dining room. Had a great selection of soups, salads and entrees. They started us with fresh corn bread and we all had a hearty soup and nicely made salads. The staff was very attentive and they served a complimentary dish of cookies for dessert. They have a bar area at the entrance but that did not distract us for our business lunch. Looks like a fun place to visit with a group if family and friends. Surprised how many restaurants are closed around the Museum area on Mondays it was a great find and I would go back.

There are newer reviews for Jack's Firehouse

Reviewed November 12, 2013

The interior of the original 19th century firehouse are preserved to create a cozy, unusual atmosphere. The scull hanging over the bar was odd, but not a real distraction. We actually chose this restaurant largely because it is only 150' from the entrance to Eastern State Penitentiary our next stop.
The food was good, but somewhat undistinguished. The appetizer of pulled pork on corn chips was excellent and plentiful. The black eye pea and smoked pork soup was good, but without any distinctive taste beyond the peas. My wife found her buffalo entrée to be a little too spicy, while my chicken breast with bacon mac & cheese was lacking in any distinctive flavor profile, and the macaroni was slightly overcooked. We still liked the entrees - just not as much as we should have been able to.
Dessert was very good.
Service was generally good and pleasant; especially when we lingered after the meal because we were early for our reserved tour across the street. The only real issue was the delivery of the appetizer and soup. Both were served simultaneously in large vessels on a small table, when common sense should have told them to space the service so the table wasn't overwhelmed, and so I could enjoy one before the other. My wife's plate was actually dropped onto the table as the server tried to be fast and clever.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Pretty chill atmosphere. Mainstream music. Drinks were a little pricey. Bartenders were very very nice, and fast. Bathrooms and bar were clean. They could afford more chairs out in the front room.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Visited on October 18th 12 noon for lunch on a recommendation from a friend. We were excited because I read the reviews on trip advisor and they looked very good. My friend also raved about this place. Upon entering they had the front large door open so the entire restaurant was cold. My wife had to eat with her jacket on. The bar area was large and very cool. My suspicion is this place might be just a good "bar" and not as much as a restaurant. They had absolutely no good beers on tap, just a bunch of junk beer. Lunch menu was tiny. I had the smoked chicken salad sandwich which was made with processed chicken, not fresh chicken. My wife's Brisket was so hard to eat she had to cut it into small slivers just to be able to chew thru it. Fresh bread at the beginning of the meal was nice. Pricing was fairly good for Philadelphia. Not so sure I will return, there really isn't anything here to bring me back, especially the food. The only really great thing about this place is the location, directly across from the Prison we just took a tour of. We wished we would have gone somewhere else for lunch. What a shame.

1  Thank JPVenezia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

While on a recent visit to Philadelphia, we had lunch at Jack's and were pleasantly surprised. I had a burger which was generous and quite tasty. The accompanying fries were the best that I have recently experienced. The restaurant is in an old firehouse across the street from an old prison making for a very interesting setting.