“Creative cuisine, well presented”
Review of Serpico

Serpico
Reserve with OpenTable
Serpico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #184 of 4,370 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Princeton, New Jersey
“Creative cuisine, well presented”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The food is inventive and tasty. The service is friendly. The prices are not astronomic. I would certainly return.

Visited January 2014

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A must try in Philly”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I decided to review this restaurant in three section, decor & staff, food and experience. First decor & staff.

The decor is pretty cool with menus painted on the walls in a very hip atmosphere. The staff couldn't be nicer or more helpful. As it was our first time here, we needed their guidance thru their most interesting menu. Also, since we were having varied items, we allowed our server to select the wine (Sorelle Palzzi, Toscana) which was a perfect choice.

The food, it was as good as expected. We started with the sliced farm pig head and the oxtail soup. The pig with the burnt onion mustard was wonderful, although my wife had a problem getting past the thought. The oxtail soup was terrific, I have alway wanted to try it and am glad I did. Next we had the egg custard and caviar. I think that this was my wife's favorite. This dish was definitely a party in your mouth. Next the Cope's corn ravioli... Wow, excellent! And finally the lamb ribs for 2. These literally melted in your mouth. Also an excellent choice. The food was great and and we can't wait to return to try the remainder of the menu.

Now for the experience. All in all it was a delightful experience. We did sit at the chef's counter and I must say, it wasn't all that special. Since a lot of the ingredients were preped ahead of time watching everyone pulling out plastic containers and assembling the dishes got boring and I would have rather sat at a table and looked at my wife. Serpico worked along with his staff all night.

All in all, the restaurant was well worth the month ahead reservation. I would definitely return and would highly recommend it.

Visited November 2013
PHILADELPHIA
“An Excellent Choice”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

In looking to see where we wanted to celebrate our 22nd anniversary, we took the many suggestions from friends and went to Serpico's. It's a Steven Starr restaurant, with a New York style atmosphere. It's nicely casual, with an excellent menu. We started with Pig Tail (I know what you're thinking) but it was delicious. We also ordered the pulled pasta, which was excellent. Our entrees were the Short Ribs and Duck Breast, both very nicely prepared. The dessert was an oh, so yummy warm cake with ice cream on the side. The wine, great food, service and open kitchen setting, helped to make this year's anniversary celebration, an excellent one.

• Visited November 2013
North Wales, Pennsylvania
“Fancy and Expensive”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had dinner with a good friend here and he picked Serpico's because he heard rave reviews about the chef who originally worked at Momufuku in NY.

The location is in an up and coming neighborhood and there is ample street parking with meters.

The restaurant is very modern and comfortable with a warm feel and trendy decor. When we arrived at 6:30pm, the place was fairly empty and we were sat right away. The service was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and we were taken care of efficiently. We selected the tasting menu for $85 per person.

Each course was carefully prepared and each was deliciously prepared. The food is Asian fusion which i didn't expect and although dinner was good, it was terribly filling and it was expensive. With cocktails and wine pairings, our bill came to almost $500 for 3 people and I didn't feel satisfied as the portions were all quite small. I get it that tasting menus are supposed to be small bites, I guess I just expected more.

Next time if we return I would like to order off of the main menu to see how the entrees compare. The flavor and presentation were spectacular.

• Visited November 2013
Kreskin2207
“Inventive, Impressive, Impeccable, Irresistible, Incredible”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Clearly you should be suspect of anyone that didn't fully enjoy the food at this restaurant; everything is very inventive and for us, perfectly executed. We had a table closest to the small bar (8 seats maybe) and a long way from the back where the huge open kitchen is located. The kitchen is so vast it looks to take up about half the restaurant making it the clear focal point. There are maybe 20 seats that surround the active kitchen and would make for great entertainment. Definitely inquire about that if its your thing.

The service was excellent, the (bottled, no draft) beer we had was good (although very interesting menu options.) The cocktails were all inventive and were are around $12 while the wine by the glass ranged from $10-18. But this isn't the place to go to pinch pennies; its expensive but its exceptional.

As the waiter recommended we went the tapas route, splitting 2-3 selections per person. We started with the pigs head with a burnt onion mustard which was phenomenal. The pigs head was shaved very fine almost like prosciutto. Then we moved onto the raw scallops in buttermilk with green chili paste, poppy seeds, white soy & chives. Words can't really describe this...probably one of the most memorable dishes I've ever had. Next up was the corn ravioli which was also spectacular. I had read so much about the hand-torn pasta, but based on a tip from the waiter we went with the ravioli. Good call. Corn raviloi with chorizo, white cheese, pickled and roasted onions, sour cream, & lime. Imagine the flavors of mexican street corn amped waaay up...so good. Then onto the deep fried duck leg with hoisin, scallion, pickles, on a potato roll; think a perfectly cooked duck bahn-mi. Finally the cap was the lamb's ribs for two. These were excellent and accompanied by an interesting mix of eggplant & yogurt. The rocky road dessert shouldn't be skipped either - chocolate pudding (more like sorbet) over a bed of toasted marshmallow with candied walnuts. Perfection.

While this place isn't cheap and it would be considered a special occasion spot for sure, there are ways to make it a bit more affordable. Number one, skip the lamb ribs for two. The dish amounted to about 10, 3-4" ribs for $55. They were very good, a bit fatty, but if you're on a budget don't opt for them. You could easily make a good meal out of the ravioli, duck leg sandwich, scallops, and one other menu item - plus dessert of course.

So glad to have this spot in the city and along South Street no less. This is definitely, without a doubt, in the top five restaurants in the city now...for me, probably top three.

• Visited October 2013