“Amazing little bakery”

South Seattle, Washington, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing little bakery”
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

We were visiting Philadelphia and stumbled upon this little bakery so we bought a sweet potato pecan tart and an almond apricot tart. Both were absolutely delicious!! I love the sweet and sour flavors of the apricot and the sweet potato was perfectly sweet. I'm tempted to get another tart tomorrow!!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best Bakery in Philly!”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I am a South Philly native now living in NJ.
I was just furniture shopping at Grossmans furniture on 2nd and Arch Street in Phila.
Right next door was what we call a "hole in the wall" bakery. It is literally a walk up window, it
Looks as if they only rent a commercial kitchen. There is no actual bakery store.
Make no mistake, do not judge a book by its cover.
This is by far the best bakery in Phila. I have been to every bakery in the tristate area
And the bakeries are not that great. This one is absolutely a gem.
I need a new word for fresh! The chocolate cupcakes with the sweetened butter/shortening frosting are unbelievable moist and Perfect. I have never had such a delicious cupcake that actually was good cake! The lemon bars were amazing. The crust melt in your mouth and the lemon filling was just tart enough. No refrigerator taste on these perfectly baked goods. Just yummy & freshly baked. The Oatmeal cookie was moist and amazing.
I will buy one of everything next time I visit as we were fighting over the cupcakes & lemon bars.
Make sure you visit this bakery, it's a must taste! Tartes, thank you for serving lovely homemade goodies that you can't find anywhere... :)

• Visited May 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Pint-Sized Bakery Delivers Awesome Baked Goods”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

After seeing the historical district of Philadelphia and eating an obligatory cheesesteak, my wife and I decided to walk around a bit, just checking out the scenery of old town. With coffee in hand, she decided her sweet tooth was kicking in, and we were in search of a small bakery to satisfy her craving. Walking past Christ Church, we took a left and noticed Tartes. A small, pink, unassuming building sitting by itself with a couple customers waiting at the window. We walked over to look at the menu; the alluring smell radiating from the window ensured we wouldn't be walking past. We quickly decided on a lavender lemon pound cake (me), and a carrot cake cupcake (my wife) as our desserts of choice. Packaged with fancy doilies, in plastic shells, inside a white paper bag, we were off to find a place to enjoy these baked goods.

Just a block and a half away, we were quickly able to find a park bench to devour our catch. The lemon pound cake was dense, yet fluffy, with a sweet glaze (that wasn't too sweet) and small sprigs of lavender perched on top. The loaf was filling, but didn't leave me feeling stuffed and tired of sweets. My wife commented on how moist and tasty her carrot cake cupcake was. We made quick work of these delicious pastries and moved on. Was it worth the $8-9 for two small dessert items? Absolutely. We highly recommend you make a quick stop if walking around old town Philly!

• Visited January 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“homemade deliciousness!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Tartes is a tiny cute pink little building in the middle of the block with a walk up window. They have tarts. cupcakes, and cookies among other sweet items. Fresh local fruit fills the pastries. I've tried the blueberry coffee cake which was so moist n tasty. i've also tried the blackberry lemon brown butter and the blueberry buttermilk tarts which were both wonderful! The crust is so light n flaky. I also bought a molasses cookie but haven't tasted it...I will have it later today...but I bought it just by how delicious it looked. The woman who owns it is always there to describe any of her treats if you need help deciding. she has a couple of people in the little room baking with her. Rather expensive $5-7 for tarts but worth it since they are so delicious. I definitely recommend!

• Visited July 2013