“Closest thing to authentic Shiwarma since living in the middle east”
Review of Sahara Grill

Sahara Grill
Ranked #346 of 4,519 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed October 25, 2012

While there are quite a few middle-eastern carts around Philly, all with great food, the Shiwarma at Sahara (sandwich/roll - not plate) was excellent. Have been back a few times so that should say a lot.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place had the best hummus I've ever tasted! I might have filled up on just that, but there was a lot more food to enjoy. I had the lamb shish-kabob. Yum. The rrestaurant is very convenient to downtown, but we chose it because it is just across the street and a block west of the hotel we stayed at. What a good choice!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Two of us just returned from a delicious dinner at the Grill. I'm amazed with their ability to take simple, inexpensive food and combine it with tasty spices and produce delicious food at very reasonable price. Don't pass up this place if you're on Walnut Stree!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had the hummus and falafel platter and it was quite tasty. Plenty of food for the price so I was happy with that. The only improvement would be the attentiveness of the server. Once I received my meal, she did not acknowledge me again until she was ready to bring my check. The restaurant only had 3 other tables at the time so I was a little irritated that my glass of water was dry. I did see her cleaning so I can attribute it to that.

When I return to Philly I will certainly visit Sahara Grill again.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Sahara Grill is located near several other restaurants and bars in the downtown area.

Service was great. I got a seat right away and my waitress seemed to really enjoy her job because she was all smiles.

The Sahara is small - a narrow restaurant easy to miss. I walked past it twice looking for a place to eat not even knowing it was there.

It has subdued lighting and tastefully decorated inside. The table was clean and I liked the Middle Eastern music playing unobtrusively.

The food was OK. A bit bland compared to other Middle Eastern restaurants I've been to. Though, to be fair, I'm not an expert on Middle Eastern food, just a casual diner.

Drinks were served by the container - no fountain service. And prices were fine - not cheap and not too expensive either.

All in all, an OK visit. A good experience.